• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Mounting Hardware

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have ordered and received the parts I thought I needed to mount my column but the FSM does not do a great job on the assembly drawing.

I don’t see the star washers washers that I bought . I don’t think they are used?

I know where the nylon safety support inserts are supposed to go but not sure size of washers.

Is there a better assembly drawing showing the details? After all this is a rather critical safety assembly.

Thanks
MF

IMG_0171.jpeg

IMG_0169.jpeg

IMG_0170.jpeg

Last edited:
In your last graphic, the white nylon pieces slide in the spot between the "Washer" and "Shim as Required". It's in the graphic but not labeled. You can see it.
The star / flower washers go in the location that just says "Washer".

In your last graphic, the white nylon pieces slide in the spot between the "Washer" and "Shim as Required". It's in the graphic but not labeled. You can see it.
The star / flower washers go in the location that just says "Washer".
Thanks! Ah so those are the correct washers? I knew where the nylon prices go but the washers are questionable.

Those washers are correct. Typically there is a stud running through them rather than a bolt as the graphic shows.
I don't think I have ever seen a bolt there.

Last edited:
so then the nuts are not regular nuts. They are clinch nuts? Do they square off on the nylon inserts?

Last edited:
See my post above. Typically there is a stud there and a regular nut/integrated washer goes onto the studs from the bottom.
What car you working on?

1970 Sport Satellite

Hey guys I am having an issue regarding lining up the bracket to column bolts (4). Seems like the column needs to come back towards the driver about 1/2 inch in order to line up the integrated nuts on the column. See picture.

How do I move the column back or what do you think is going on? The coupler is correctly engaged to the box.

IMG_0177.jpeg

Ok so I can slide the bracket back to line up the holes but you can see the supports are no longer fully in the slots. Also the automatic trans shifter seems very close to the dash. If I recall correctly this is how it was during disassembly. Something seems compressed?

Thoghts?

IMG_0179.jpeg

IMG_0178.jpeg

I posted this in your other thread as well. Try loosening the 2 retainer bolts at the floor shown in your pic above. The whole assembly should be able to be pulled back.

Auto Transport Service
Back