• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column problem

Randy73

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
rebuilt my steering column and replaced the gearbox and now the column is 4 1/2" short of the gearbox. I checked the old gearbox against the new one and they are the same.

What did I do wrong?

73 charger w/power steering

TIA

Sounds like you collapsed the column - there are several shear pins that get brittle and break - allowing the column to collapse

Do I have to take the column apart to pull the steering column back out?

I had the same problem in the past (long time ago when I was young). I just pulled the lower shaft out of the sleeve enough so it would be long enough to reach the box. I drove it for a few years like that with no problem at all. The upper shaft is welded to the sleeve and the lower shaft slides into the sleeve and is only held there by the shear pins. The pins a designed to break but that doesn't mean that you will loose control of the car. If your worried about it you can install your own pins, I think they are made of some sort of nylon. You can also change the length of your column this way. Like if you wanted to switch from manual to power steering.

They are in the housing tube, near the bottom I think. DO NOT use anything but plastic or maybe nylon to replace them. If you use any metal pins, the column will not collapse during a crash, and you chest will not be happy...

Well, I had to take the column apart and the pins are near the top on my 73. It was so rusted, I sprayed with blaster and will try again tonight.

OK, I made a mistake. The lower shaft is welded to the sleeve and the upper shaft is held together with the shear pins. There are two pins they are located 22 1/4 and 24 7/8 from the bottom of the shaft (without coupler) on a shaft for a floor shifted power steering car. For a floor shift manual steering car they are 25 1/4 and 27 7/8 also from the bottom of the shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back