• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column rebuild help

green440duster

Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Trying to put together a steering column for my 68 was auto now 4spd with ps. Building my column and struggling with getting it back together. Any YouTube videos or help? I am struggling with the square head bolts tighten them down to secure upper column housing to the tube.

thanks in advance
Jamie

Yeah, kind of tricky! You have to get a beer and relax. If you look carefully at the heads,
hopefully they will have a little witness mark of the direction that they were put in. Don't
tighten them down all the way on each one. Sneak up on them a liitle at a time. Slow and
easy.

Stand the column up vertically.
it lets the bolts hang straight down. Then tighten each one a little at a time

Earlier cars the bolt heads were offset a bit, is this true for 68?

This is from my post a few years back. I made these bolts with hooks at the head to grab the slots inside the column. They were bolts with over-sized heads. I ground them to fit in the square areas of the column. I then hammered the heads a little to make the hook. Then I dremmelled slots on the end so I could maneuver the hooks in place with a small flathead. Seems to have worked. It's tight and all together now. It's still together. I just drove the car around my yard with no steering issues.

1671028107713.png

1671028294327.png

Lot's of articles on stuff Brazen – '69 Dodge Charger Archives - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

I used a magnet to hold the square head bolt in place while holding the collar to start the nut onto the bolt. In this pic you can't see the magnet so I drew an arrow to show you where I placed the magnet. The magnet is one of those 2"x1" brick type magnets.

I wish I would've thought of this earlier when I started restoring my steering column, I spent hours of frustration trying to get those bolts to cooperate.

steering column 01.jpg

Trying to put together a steering column for my 68 was auto now 4spd with ps. Building my column and struggling with getting it back together. Any YouTube videos or help? I am struggling with the square head bolts tighten them down to secure upper column housing to the tube.

thanks in advance
Jamie
Have any picks of what you are dealing with? I rebuilt my column but is was for a 72 Charger. I’m not sure how different they are but I did try to document on YouTube.

Auto Transport Service
Back