• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column/ Shifter Questions

HotRod777

Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
I have a couple specific question that I’m hoping someone can help me with that has first hand experience. 1966 Coronet, manual steering, column shift.
The car shifts through and actuates all the gear correctly, however the park position has no lock or detent position. What I mean is this: On all other column shift cars I’ve ever driven you pull towards you before you pull down to get the car out of the park detent. (It helps keep the ‘locked’ up in park) On my car the shift lever will drop right to reverse, N or D without any fo/aft movement of the lever. In fact I can grab the shift collar on the column, rotate it and shift the car without even touching the lever. The lever does stop at D and does require pulling forward to get down to 2 or 1.
Am I correct in assuming that something is wrong, broken or bent in the gate that’s inside the column?
Follow up question, being this is a 66, before the collapsible shaft, is it possible to dissemble the top of the column, down to the shift collar while it’s still in the car? Thanks for any help!

I just checked my all original 66 Coronet. I definitely do have to pull the shift lever forward some to get out of park. I cannot just push it straight to reverse.

It sounds like the detent spring is weak, missing or broken. Use the correct size roll pin punch and knock out the roll pin pivot at the base of the gear selector and the spring will be accessible to inspect.

After checking Beekeeper sugustion, I believe there is a detent plate that may be missing if you column has been apart that you know of.
My 67 I made it a reverse manual shift by removing that plate and grinding the detent out from the drive (now first) position as to not have to pull back on the lever going to second and first (now third). Just a thought.
I looked thru the 66 service manual and found nothing on steering columns ??

The steering column is the last stop here.

First is to check the shifter adjustment at the trans. If the trans is not going into park far enough the column won’t reach the detent.

Get under the car and remove the coiled clip from the rod end and move the lever on the trans to park by hand. Now put the shifter in park and see if it reaches the detent like normal. Now see if the linkage rod will drop in the hole on the lever At the trans.

The detent plate is all one piece and it’s tough steel so it’s probably fine. But you never know What has happened.

Is the trans itself really going into park? I bought a car once and from a town thet was totally flat. it wouldn’t ever reach park inside the trans. To bandaid the problem it had a manual trans starter relay so it would start at anytime. The adjustment was off was the only problem.

Last edited:
The steering column is the last stop here.

First is to check the shifter adjustment at the trans. If the trans is not going into park far enough the column won’t reach the detent.

Get under the car and remove the coiled clip from the rod end and move the lever on the trans to park by hand. Now put the shifter in park and see if it reaches the detent like normal. Now see if the linkage rod will drop in the hole on the lever At the trans.

The detent plate is all one piece and it’s tough steel so it’s probably fine. But you never know What has happened.

Is the trans itself really going into park? I bought a car once and from a town thet was totally flat. it wouldn’t ever reach park inside the trans. To bandaid the problem it had a manual trans starter relay so it would start at anytime. The adjustment was off was the only problem.
I have confirmed that the transmission is being shifted correctly, including park.
The problem, is for sure in the column. I’ve disconnected the linkage and can move the gear shift lever beyond the P and still no detent/gate is felt. After seeing a few pictures of the shift gate I’m thinking that one of the tab is broken or bent.
Once I remove the C-clip and rubber ring does anyone know if it’s possible the get the bearing out while the column is still in the car? That would let me at least see the shift gate from behind.

I would love to help but it has been over 20 years that I had mine apart. :(

After you get the c clip removed the rubber isolator will be impossible to remove without the bearing being out of the housing. If you remove the bolts that fasten the upper and lower collars together you may be able to pull the upper collar along with the bearing off the steering shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back