• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Too Short by 1/2”

So I loosened the two bolts of the plate at the firewall. And tried to move the assembly back but got zero movement. The column is still 1/2 inch too short.

What’s next?

IMG_0202.jpeg

The 1967 and later columns were built to collapse in the event of a frontal impact. They achieve this by using a hollow shaft within a shaft and at time of assembly, are temporarily held into the proper length and molten plastic was poured into specific voids....which then cooled and kept the inner and outer shafts in position.
Years later, after hundreds of heating and cooling cycles and countless hours of vibrations, the shaft within a shaft began to break loose from the plastic "pins".

View attachment 1559868View attachment 1559869

Those round yellowish things are what some people call "shear pins". They maintain the length of the steering column until they break, then the column often shortens as the inner shaft wants to slide up into the outer shaft.
The fix?
Put the outer end of the inner in a vice, then pry a pipe wrench on the outer shaft and tap it rearward with a hammer. They will slide apart enough to lengthen.
How much? I'm not sure but if your column shifter hits the dash, maybe ask others here to measure the clearance they have between the shifter and dash padding, then duplicate that for yourself. You can extend the column length by a fair amount before the inner shaft slides completely out. I had a friend that converted his power steering column to a manual steering by just sliding the inner shaft out and replacing the coupler with a Manual steering unit. He said there were no vibrations from that.
KD I think this might be my next step. I’ll have to pull the column unfortunately to do this. The spline engagement is my only concern is taking the column out again. Trying everything else first.

What does that plate with the two bolts at the fire wall do? Does that somehow lock the shaft in place as you are suggesting?
It does. I see you commented that you loosened them. You couldn't get it to come back at all? You might have to take the bolts almost ,or even out, to get it to move.

It does. I see you commented that you loosened them. You couldn't get it to come back at all? You might have to take the bolts almost ,or even out, to get it to move.
I removed the two bolts! Not any movement at all. I progressed to a mini 5lb sledge and vice grips “tapping” the shaft forward. Nothing….

Is this a new to you column, or was it in the car previously?

Is this a new to you column, or was it in the car previously?
Was in the car previously. And was like this when I pulled it (too short). I don’t have the history on it before but it did have some front end repair so it could have been that.

When I restored my steering column that expanded steel cage was perfectly cylindrical with no waves
The columns are supposed to be wavy. If you have one that isn't then you should be concerned.

The waves serve the same purpose as mesh - to allow the column to collapse. The mesh on their own would just go every which way whereas the "waves" serve to alternate which direction each row takes.

If you pull it apart, I have the actual shaft measurements around here somewhere. I guess then you would know if it has been collapsed. I still find it odd that you can't get any movement of the outer shell. Maybe it is the wrong column for your car?

This is an original column out of my '69 RR which I've owned since '73. As you can see, it has the "waves". Its also worth noting that when I switched from power steering to manual, I swapped the shaft and coupler and everything hooked up effortlessly. If this were at all collapsed it would have been noticeable when I put in the manual shaft.

IMG_0824 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).JPG

Does anyone know for a fact that those plastic pieces are actually "pins" and not just some sort of friction insert - which would allow the inner shaft to move with some effort. I'd try giving that shaft a damn good tug - I'll bet it moves!

As fat as I can yell indeed this is the original column. Paint color was originally green as was the interior.

IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

I removed the two bolts! Not any movement at all. I progressed to a mini 5lb sledge and vice grips “tapping” the shaft forward. Nothing….
Define forward. If you are tapping the shaft towards the front of the vehicle with it attached to the steering box it will go nowhere.

Define forward. If you are tapping the shaft towards the front of the vehicle with it attached to the steering box it will go nowhere.
I was tapping it toward the rear of the car, not into the gear box.

Did you install the steering box? Check to see if it looks like mine. Mine is original and power steering.
E4597CB0-A574-4320-8484-6A54CF18E826.jpeg

My measurements and your measurements are definitely different. Your measurements would put the shifter lever closer to the dash for sure. Just my thoughts

My measurements and your measurements are definitely different. Your measurements would put the shifter lever closer to the dash for sure. Just my thoughts
Yes by the amount I am short as well. What causes this and what the fix is I don’t know. I am still hoping to get some sort of feedback that I can use to solve this without having to pull the column ……

Auto Transport Service
Back