• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Too Short by 1/2”

Was able to finally get to this today finishing off my other jobs. Pulled the column, marked my current position with tape and tapped out the 1/2 inch distance I needed. This should do it.

Thanks all for you support and patience with me on this one! Not fully understanding and having to learn how this part of the column works takes a bit of time.

Hopefully this will help others in the future as well!

IMG_0227.jpeg

I have had 2 colums replaced. Went from an automatic colum shift, power steering to a manual box. Colum/shaft was too long and we removed 1/2" from the shaft to get it to fit. Just went through adding OEM power steering back. (getting too old to crank the wheel and do 6 point parking manouvers). Shaft was 1/2" short. Had a steering colum from either a standard trans or an auto floor shift car. NO shift indicator on the colum. Had to shorten the shaft 1/2" to get it to fit. Only reason for posting was - if it is the same colum that was in the car, I have no idea where your problem is, but if it is a replacement it may have been shortened by that 1/2" to fit a previous installation or Chrysler made colums of differing lengths. I hope that you are able to get it sorted out. Oh, the shaft was shortened in the engine compartment.

I have had 2 colums replaced. Went from an automatic colum shift, power steering to a manual box. Colum/shaft was too long and we removed 1/2" from the shaft to get it to fit. Just went through adding OEM power steering back. (getting too old to crank the wheel and do 6 point parking manouvers). Shaft was 1/2" short. Had a steering colum from either a standard trans or an auto floor shift car. NO shift indicator on the colum. Had to shorten the shaft 1/2" to get it to fit. Only reason for posting was - if it is the same colum that was in the car, I have no idea where your problem is, but if it is a replacement it may have been shortened by that 1/2" to fit a previous installation or Chrysler made colums of differing lengths. I hope that you are able to get it sorted out. Oh, the shaft was shortened in the engine compartment.
It’s all sorted out yes.It was the original column. It got compressed but I only have theories as to why. I was able to tap with some vigor the shaft back out. Turns out it needed to get to full extension to line up correctly. Not sure if full extension was limited to the plastic shear stops/pins or some internal ring stop I haven’t a clue. But it’s perfect now!

IMG_0264.jpeg

IMG_0265.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg

It’s all sorted out yes.It was the original column. It got compressed but I only have theories as to why. I was able to tap with some vigor the shaft back out. Turns out it needed to get to full extension to line up correctly. Not sure if full extension was limited to the plastic shear stops/pins or some internal ring stop I haven’t a clue. But it’s perfect now!

View attachment 1563585

View attachment 1563586

View attachment 1563587
Great to hear that it was a "small" problem. Wish all mine had been smallish. Have a Merry Christmas and a great new year. Regards, Bryan

Great to hear that it was a "small" problem. Wish all mine had been smallish. Have a Merry Christmas and a great new year. Regards, Bryan
Thanks mate! You as well! Remember hard problems builds character! And I am full of it! Or at least thats what everyone tells me lol

Auto Transport Service
Back