• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering coupler from shaft removal

Hubbarocks

Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
not a post about removing from the gear box.

i want to remove the steering coupler off the shaft. not finding how to do this via searching, all i can find is threads about removing the coupling from the slush box , i got that covered. so i thought i'd ask.

i have the steering column out of the car and my table. looking at the coupling for disassembly and don't want to butcher it. I found this drawing on the A body forums, is this going to be accurate for our B bodies?

upgrading to Borgeson steering box and Borgeson coupling on a 69 charger.

this going to be same for us .. i'd assume ?
coupling.JPG

Yes that pic is accurate for all the couplers that style. Bend the tabs out on the cover and out it will come. Watch the shoes they will go flying if you don’t hang on to them.

Last edited:
thanks Beekeeper, i suppose there should be a step by step in the service manual. just not finding the right page.

not a post about removing from the gear box.

i want to remove the steering coupler off the shaft. not finding how to do this via searching, all i can find is threads about removing the coupling from the slush box , i got that covered. so i thought i'd ask.

i have the steering column out of the car and my table. looking at the coupling for disassembly and don't want to butcher it. I found this drawing on the A body forums, is this going to be accurate for our B bodies?

upgrading to Borgeson steering box and Borgeson coupling on a 69 charger.

this going to be same for us .. i'd assume ?
View attachment 1112649
The only thing holding the coupler body on the steering box side is that roll pin shown in the picture. You need to drive out the pin with a punch then the coupler body will come off the shaft by tapping with a hammer.

When you get to putting it all back together, may I recommend one of the add on retaining clamps. Good piece of mind.
8346EBFE-22AF-4C2D-83B0-ADA937363118.jpeg

Can do a search and they are all over the www. And a search here on Fbbo will give you some results too!

Take a small pair of pump pliers/channel locks and push the small dowel pin out enough for the shoes to come out of the body. That is the only thing preventing it from coming apart.

Before ordering make sure you know what size you need for the retaining clamp. I believe a large and a small.

Jim from DMT told me to use the original parts except for the top seal and cap. Just clean them well, remove all the old grease from the housing, repack and reassemble. He said none of the new kits are exact. I took his advice and works great. Got the seal, cap and retainer from him. Great guy.

I got it figured out. It notes a down pin hole. Mine does not have mentioned hole ...Once you bend the tabs on the cover , remove the cover and seal. Then there is literally nothing holding it on. You can give the coupling body a yank straight off. The shoes n spring are held in place by the grease.

I've already bought the borgenson coupling. I'll cut the steering shaft to length.

Thanks all

Auto Transport Service
Back