• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Coupler - Manual Steering

Joel Talka

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

Moving along with the work on my 66. Pulled the steering column out yesterday (along with the dash, radio, and main wiring harness). It had a black "coupler" connecting the column to the steering box. The coupler was basically apart; the spring pin was never fully installed and was just hanging there.

Based upon what I have seen thus far, that black coupler is for a power steering set up.. Question is what do I need for this manual steering set up to connect the column to the steering box?

Thanks,

Joel

You need the longer one for a manual box
Ahh, now that spring pin not being in place makes sense. I never realized that there are two flavors of the coupler..I thought there was something different for manual steering. I need to start looking to dig the correct one up.. Appreciate the guidance.. Joel

The difference between power and manual couplers is the spline size. If it fits on your box, then you have the right one. The steering shaft in the column is longer for manual steering. If you have a power column and manual box then you can buy an adaptor from firm feel or change the column.

The difference between power and manual couplers is the spline size. If it fits on your box, then you have the right one. The steering shaft in the column is longer for manual steering. If you have a power column and manual box then you can buy an adaptor from firm feel or change the column.

Thanks, it is all beginning to make sense... The coupler was connected to the steering unit but not fully seated, and had come apart. It is missing the retaining clip as well. I have no idea which column is in there. The car was originally a 6 cylinder automatic so my guess is it may well be a power column. Is there an easy way to tell without taking it all apart?

Power column and manual box would look like this. The adaptor I mentioned would go in between.
Screenshot_20220410-095123.png

Power column and manual box would look like this. The adaptor I mentioned would go in between.View attachment 1267658
Thanks for the picture, it helps. Here is a picture of what I have.. its different but I suspect it is a correct item because I have zero gap between the coupler and the box. I should be able to rebuild this one and get it installed. On the steering shaft, do I need to press that cross pin out?

IMG_6486.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back