• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering gear box loose

So the single bolt came loose, and of the 2 bolts, the bottom bolt closet to the K frame came loose. Soaked the single bolt in red loctite, and also soaked the other bolt in red loctite and put an additional nyloc on it. Will see how this holds.........

had 2 b bodies with shim under steering box on drivers side from factory, hope this might help. jms

single bolt side. jms

Hi Lee, I got 1/2", but I think they're 7/16" (it's all a bit metric here in the UK!), I think you'd be best to check to be sure... (soz for late reply, been on vacation).

Speaking to a friend, he has had this problem on 2 or 3 B bodies.
And, after 500 miles, mine is loose again. Aaargh!

holy crap!!! You're kidding?!?!? Even with those locking washers?!?!??!

Speaking to a friend, he has had this problem on 2 or 3 B bodies.
And, after 500 miles, mine is loose again. Aaargh!

So, steering box is starting to hang off again. Did a steering wheel wiggle too and the whole box is moving. I'm now blaming it on the fact that the 3rd lug is broken, so it'll always have somewhere to start waggling!

So, next question please, can any of you bright guys make a recommendation (or what to avoid!) to replace this manual steering box? Big bucks Flaming River, or shiny and bright stuff on Ebay....? Any advice much appreciated!!

I replaced the stock box earlier this year for the much smaller Borgenson box.
Slightly off topic, how did you shorten the length of the column to mate with the Borgenson box?

So, steering box is starting to hang off again. Did a steering wheel wiggle too and the whole box is moving. I'm now blaming it on the fact that the 3rd lug is broken, so it'll always have somewhere to start waggling!

So, next question please, can any of you bright guys make a recommendation (or what to avoid!) to replace this manual steering box? Big bucks Flaming River, or shiny and bright stuff on Ebay....? Any advice much appreciated!!

It's a long shot, but could the gearbox mounting pad on the K-frame be slightly warped or have a bow which would not allow the gearbox to sit tight and square on the three bolt surfaces?

RC and rest. I was thinking same thing. The metal sure isn't getting any stronger after all these years..

Use this on some stuff at work. When I swap to power steering I will be using these myself.

Pretty sure the OP used those, and it still came loose.

Auto Transport Service
Back