• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering leak

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
Well, I had the Charger on a lift yesterday to check out my fuel sender and while it was up, I checked out my steering to see what was leaking there - I typically have to top off the steering every second or third tank of fuel. Looking at it, there's a small leak at the pump (around the pulley shaft), but the steering box itself is SOAKED. Is this a "home rebuild" type thing, or am I better off trying to source a replacement? Car's a 318/904 with a/c and it doesn't look TOO hateful to rubiks-cube the thing out of there...not a walk in the park, but doesn't look (at first glance anyway) like the K frame has to be dropped or anything...I have a .pdf manual somewhere at the house to look up the process. For now, though, I'll just keep a jug of fluid in the trunk and top 'er off when she whines (wow...yea, the car, not my ex wife lol).

Well you could try some lucas power steering stop leak and see if it helps. I mean short of repairing or replacing the pump or steering gear.
AMAZON

61Pz3abF2yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had a similar issue, except mine was every time I drove the car :lol: . The steering box was wet so that was my first thought, I got a steer and gear stage 2 box, bolted it up, and still wert. After investigating it further, it was the steering pump. When it was running and had pressure the fluid was pushing out the dead seals, and all the fluid was just landing on the box, replaced all the seals and o rings, and no more leaks.

Yeah mine's a visible trail down the BACK of the box, from the steering shaft up top. My pump has a slightly damp area behind and below the pulley shaft, but the box is SOAKED. I'd thought it was a hose, until I got it on the lift yesterday and looked around a little better.

I'll try the stop leak above and see what happens, but I'm afraid it's a big enough leak that it may not work. Could be my fault anyway, since I just rebuilt the front end last winter and now everything else is nice and tight, no slop...it's transmitting all that road feedback into the box.

The joy of an unrestored 53 year old car.... :lol:

Have you checked that it’s not the proportional valve leaking or something as simple as a leaking return hose connection?

I've run more than a couple of vehicles with heavier oils and that worked. The rack in my 95 Dakota started leaking and there was no seal kit available for it so replacement of the rack was a necessity. I ended up using straight STP in that stupid thing for a pretty good while before I finally replaced it after the STP started leaking. The original pump is still in it and actually works better than the one that's in the 96. Doing seals in these older cars isn't that bad....

@dadsbee made a nice step by step post on replacing that seal where the column connects to the box.

Power Steering Input Shaft - Seal Replacement

he makes it look easy in these photos, but doing it in the car takes some finesse Due to tight quarters. I pulled my seal out with one screw in it. The seal is not very wide so be careful.

make sure to use power steering fluid and not ATF.

Yes the steering box comes out of the car without much problem if you need to remove it. I took mine out so I could clean it all up real well and then the seal is very easy to do with box on the bench.

Auto Transport Service
Back