• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering pump leak

Marco Perez

Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys my steering pump is leaking, and it looks like it's from the reservoir to pully area, I saw some gaskets i can get, and I found a video on YouTube on a guy doing that o ring swap but he didn't show any of it only the after its on... so I was wondering how easy is it to do ? Or should I just get a new pump if so how easy is that to put on as well... I have a '64 361 v8 thanks for the advice..

If your talking about the oring between the pump and reservoir its easy to do.

It's leaking from here at the bottom thou.though.. and how do I know if I have a federal pump or a trw or does that not matter when getting the gasket kit... and what are the steps to achieve this task ? Do i need special tools ?

Snap a pic of the pump and post it here.
035E3FF3-F0E6-47D0-9C07-1219F769F69F.jpeg

Looks like a TRW. Are the hoses easy to remove and reinstall... I'll probably end up buying new sending and returning hoses also... I will also be buying a pulley remover and installer..

20220706_195858.jpg

20220706_195905.jpg

20220706_195915.jpg

Looks like a TRW. Are the hoses easy to remove and reinstall... I'll probably end up buying new sending and returning hoses also... I will also be buying a pulley remover and installer..

the hoses are fairly easy to change can you post a pic of the pressure hose.

It's leaking from here at the bottom thou.though.. and how do I know if I have a federal pump or a trw or does that not matter when getting the gasket kit... and what are the steps to achieve this task ? Do i need special tools ?
Remans are cheap if you just want to replace it while you rebuild the old one. Youll need one of these to remove/install the pulley. Harbor freight sells em for $20. Just picked one up today because i couldn't find my old one. Also a good time to replace the pressure/return hoses.

20220706_200514.jpg

Where would I be able to find a trw steering pump for sale that fits my car ? Also a pulley that fits my car .. ?

Where would I be able to find a trw steering pump for sale that fits my car ? Also a pulley that fits my car .. ?
Pump would be at any auto store (napa, oriley, autozone) might take a day to get it in. Rockauto if you can wait a week it will probably be cheaper. The pulley you would use from your old pump.

Don’t get a new one, it won’t fit Right
clean yours off good. It probably is just leaking at the o ring where the tin can goes on. Easy to fis, but messy.

dont loose that cap, hard to find a replacement.

Don’t get a new one, it won’t fit Right
clean yours off good. It probably is just leaking at the o ring where the tin can goes on. Easy to fis, but messy.

dont loose that cap, hard to find a replacement.
I'm sure it's just tye o ring from reservoir to pump... I can find the gasket kit, now should I change other gaskets it comes with or should I just do the o ring...

Screenshot_20220707-054705_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Read the service manual it tells you how to rebuild the pump. If you're going to take it apart, you should consider the shaft seal. There are seals on the pump where the mount screws for the can go. You also need to inspect the can. They do corrode. If it is more than you want to get into, you can go the replacement route, but make sure you keep your cap and pulley. But to put the pulley on you need the pump out of the can when you press it on. That is easy though as long as you have access to a press.

If it works good other wise don’t mess with it. They seem to keep working if not run low on fluid. And use power steering fluid, not ATF.

there is a flat gasket inside on the back where the bolts thread in and then the big o ring. I followed this advice on my car and it’s dry and working fine.

thats why I say clean it good and look for any other leaks Before you take it apart.

Ok inordered the gaskets. Another question I had was do u put power steering oil in ot or transmission fluid?

Use PS fluid, no stop leak and no synthetic.
ATF doesn’t do them any good over time.

and the fill level is the bottom of the neck, I like it a bit lower than that, but no seeing the unit inside.

many fill them to the top of the neck and wonder why it leaks so bad. Really. Had several people dong that.
I would fix the PS leak and they say “it still leaks, and it wasn’t full either, so I topped it off”

Read the service manual it tells you how to rebuild the pump. If you're going to take it apart, you should consider the shaft seal. There are seals on the pump where the mount screws for the can go. You also need to inspect the can. They do corrode. If it is more than you want to get into, you can go the replacement route, but make sure you keep your cap and pulley. But to put the pulley on you need the pump out of the can when you press it on. That is easy though as long as you have access to a press.
Can u give me more information on the shaft seal ? Because I think it's that and not the reservoir o ring that leaking but I'll have to take a better look tomorrow morning I'll upload some pictures...

I replaced the large O-ring seal for the reservoir can when it leaked one time and there was no need to remove the pulley. It's a very simple swap. Just don't bend the can edge when prying it apart. Go careful and slow.

Auto Transport Service
Back