• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering shaft moves in and out

OH71RRunner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
While sitting in the car, I can pull the steering wheel towards me about an inch or so. The whole shaft moves. All the way to the gear box. I haven't taken it apart as I'm hoping it's something easily fixable.

Would anybody know what the issue would be?

It's not a column shift if that makes any difference. No issues with steering (turning), turn signal, or ignition.

Sounds like the c clip is missing on the bottom side of the collar

Is the spring pin in? It's the pin that goes in the collar that holds it to the gear box.
IMG_3673.JPG

Sounds something like 440+6's answer to me. Internal problem, because the shaft is locked into position inside the column.

These guys are on top of it! Probably the c-clip slipped out or broke. Cost about $1 and not "too-too" bad to replace.

Sounds like the c clip is missing on the bottom side of the collar

Is the C clip something where I need to remove the column to fix?

Is the spring pin in? It's the pin that goes in the collar that holds it to the gear box.View attachment 401192

The top piece, or "plate", looks like it's barely attached to the main part of it.

Should I just pull the column out and put new parts in it?

Is the C clip something where I need to remove the column to fix?

You don't need to remove the column.
  • First remove the steering wheel
  • then the screw to the left that holds the turn signal lever
  • then three screws that hold the turn signal switch, pull it up over the shaft (push up on the harness from below to help it up)
  • remove c clip in front of bearing
  • remove three screws on collar and lift over shaft
There should be another c clip under that collar that keeps the shaft from moving up like you described.

a service manual will help allot in these situations, you can download one here
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

hope this helps

Just wanted to give you all an update on this thread. It was the lower c clip under the collar that has disappeared somewhere. And the upper one is kind of crooked.
I'm going to Jeg's later to get some new ones and get the steering wheel put back together.

Auto Transport Service
Back