• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering "slack"

Cyberbob

Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
I did a renovation on my steering box for my 1970 RR.
Because it was leaking oil.

I did pretty well i think. But now there is a big slack in my steering wheel. It wasn't that big before I began.
I have tried to adjust the nut on the steering box, but nothing happens ? Turning it clockwise or counter wise .
Does anyone know what to do ?
Its very irritating..

Thanks
Patrick

Tell us exactly what you did to the box? Have you looked while someone else moves the steering wheel to see exactly where the slack is coming from?

Sounds like you got somethin wrong. Have you got a factory service manual? It explains in great detail step by step how to do that job.

I wonder if you got the steering coupler "shoes" inside installed wrong? I don't have a pic, but the 2 little shoes that go inside the coupler must be in the correct way. If installed wrong, it will feel like there is a lot of free play in steering wheel before it moves the box.

this happened to me once before I figured out the shoes were in 90* off

Bryan

Yes, i used the Mopar service guide. I took pics of the dissemble, documenting everything.
But maybe i missed something

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, so this means that i have to take out the steering box and dissemble it again :icon_sad:

You might have to. First try readjusting it which you have to do that on the "high spot" on the steering gear.

See #2 post above before you do anything. Like #4 post said, it may be in the steering COUPLER (connecting the steering shaft to the box).

Auto Transport Service
Back