• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel horn is constantly beeping

inri

Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
I just purchased an original '69 RR steering wheel and installed it. I currently have the motor out of the car and the power off. I turned the power on and the horn constantly beeps...
I disconnected the horn from the engine bay so that the power would stay on and tried to tinker with the steering wheel and its connections.After an hour same results. I've made the connection to the wheel and have seated it appropriately.
I see that in the upper right hand corner there is a plunger type of connection with a copper ball on top that presses down. I have no idea why I can't get the horn to function properly. IMG_1401.1.JPG

Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps the steering column isn't compatible? Just thinking aloud...

Horn relay stuck in the on position maybe.

Possibly a short on the ground wire leading from the steering wheel down the column - check for a pinched wire.

Horn relay stuck in the on position maybe.

If the horn relay is stuck in the on position can you please explain how I would unstick it?

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly a short on the ground wire leading from the steering wheel down the column - check for a pinched wire.

I'll check this tomorrow. For the record which is the ground wire? Is it the wire going to the back of the steering wheel? The other wire connects to the front side of the wheel horn.

to "unstick" a horn relay, you must buy a new one

the black wire running up the column is the ground for horn relay, unplug the turn signal switch connector under the column and see if horn goes off, if it does, problem is inside column, if horn still blows, problem is between column and horn relay

I just purchased a horn relay online. Its expected to arrive mid to late next week.

Any way of taking a look inside the existing relay to see if something is stuck? Just for kicks and giggles so to speak?

Just had this very issue.
Come to find out, previous owner had managed to pinch the little black wire from the steering wheel itself between the wheel and the horn ring portion. Once I disassembled the wheel itself, it became obvious - but you'd never have seen it otherwise.

I tested the horn relay with my MM.

Prior to connections reading 00.0. After connection to the relay reading 26.4 or so. I tested the relay several times and it was normally over 20.

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed that the horn relay is using a "starter relay" unit instead of a horn relay unit. According to Oreilly's there is a small difference in the relays, with the starter having another connection. Does this matter?

horn relay has 3 terminals, starter relay has 4 terminals for auto trans, 3 for manual trans....they are different relays.....auto part kids know nothing about cars...look it up online yourself and get the correct one

did you unplug the turn signal switch connector under the dash yet to see if horn stops making noise?

horn relay has 3 terminals, starter relay has 4 terminals for auto trans, 3 for manual trans....they are different relays.....auto part kids know nothing about cars...look it up online yourself and get the correct one

did you unplug the turn signal switch connector under the dash yet to see if horn stops making noise?

A383wing,

I took a few pics of how the car is "setup". This is how it ran when I bought the car.
For some reason the previous owner used a startup relay instead of the horn relay for the horn. There is another starter relay also on the firewall.
I'm going to hold off taking apart the column until I have the new startup relay to test. If it works then GREAT. If not then I'll purchase a horn relay and hopefully that will cure the constant horn issue. Then, I'll need to find out what the other two wires that went to the previous startup relay will need to be re-routed to.
IMG_1407.JPGIMG_1409.JPG

if this is for your horn, then take the black wire in the upper right off and see if it stops making noise

A383,

I installed the new relay and tested it; 0 ohms vs the old relay reading of 26. I installed the steering wheel and beeeeeeeeeep.
I removed the black wire from the relay and no beep. However, the horn will not beep when I press it....

I've been reading up on the steering wheel horn contact. The contact under the wheel is old and may be bad...
Is there a way of removing the steel hook and replacing the caulking and plastic ring?
I've attached some pics for reference. IMG_1420[1].JPGIMG_1421[1].JPGIMG_1422[1].JPG

I had to do that to my old road runner because it was shorting out, the steel ring just pops out but make sure you mark the position and put it back in the exact same spot because that's what cancels your turn signals.
I just used some gasket material to make a new insulator and it worked fine.

I had to do that to my old road runner because it was shorting out, the steel ring just pops out but make sure you mark the position and put it back in the exact same spot because that's what cancels your turn signals.
I just used some gasket material to make a new insulator and it worked fine.

440+6,
The steel ring is on there pretty good...Is there a tool or special way of taking it off? I've tried to move it but it won't budge and I don't want to break anything.
Also where did you find replacement parts; ie.e calking and plastic ring(s)?

Thanks.

440+6,
The steel ring is on there pretty good...Is there a tool or special way of taking it off? I've tried to move it but it won't budge and I don't want to break anything.
Also where did you find replacement parts; ie.e calking and plastic ring(s)?

Thanks.

I did this over 20 years ago but I remember just slowly prying it off, be careful and you should be able to work it off.
As far as the gaskets go I don't know who has them or if they are even available, but you can easily make them yourself with some sheet gasket material, that's what I did and it worked fine.

inri PM me I can walk you through it or come up there to Sac and help if you want.

It's not the ring. Does the horn blow when the steering wheel is off? Don't over tighten the steering wheel...I had an issue like this and the cause was the retaining clip for the upper bearing worked its way loose and let the steering shaft move back. This jammed everything up and caused the horn to alway blow.

Auto Transport Service
Back