• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel scratches - 69 RR

4xfourfun

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

I got a nice solid steering wheel from another member on here for my 69 RR. It has light scratches all over it. Has anyone tried light sanding/polishing to remove them? I hate to paint it. Let me know your thoughts or what you’ve used. Otherwise I plan to experiment.....Thanks!

8226CE8E-D972-46BA-90EA-10A1C6EC0288.jpeg 93C128C8-B363-4A3B-98E8-0907AAB8CE8F.jpeg

Sorry,
Pics on here are not nearly as detailed as what I took so scratches may be hard to see since they are fine.

Take some 1500 grit and wet sand the entire wheel see how it looks when done then hit it with 2500 and polish it out.

The wheels are cast in color all the way through. You won't sand through anything.

Take some 1500 grit and wet sand the entire wheel see how it looks when done then hit it with 2500 and polish it out.
Thanks guys, I had tried a scotch-brite in a small spot on the back but the finish was dulled by that so I just stopped and figured I’d ask the guys who have done it before. What do you recommend for the final polish?

I sanded mine and painted it and it was one of the most beautiful parts on my car. Consider that the plastic may have deteriorated to the point of not shining. Maybe work on an old one to check if the finish is ok before you invest too much time.

Auto Transport Service
Back