• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stellantis Belvidere plant to close

XS22J8R

Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
It’s been idled temporarily a few times over the years, but this time I’m guessing it’s permanent.
The Chicagoland Mopar Connection club hosted their summer show there for a number of years up to about 20 years ago. Some good times!
My daily driver Dart was born there too.
Stellantis To Idle Jeep Plant In Illinois, Workers Indefinitely Laid Off

7-18-15 (3).JPG

Last edited:
Their decision to go into building electric cars will put the death nail in Dodge and Chrysler,Ram and Jeep will be sold off to other companies.

I wish I’d saved a link to an article I read several months ago, the analyst stated in it that he thought the auto industry is well aware the big push to go all EV will end up a big fail. But he theorized that they are positioning themselves so that when the EV thing fails, they can go to the government hat in hand saying we did what you told us to, now we are going bankrupt, and you are obligated to bail us out!

I wish I’d saved a link to an article I read several months ago, the analyst stated in it that he thought the auto industry is well aware the big push to go all EV will end up a big fail. But he theorized that they are positioning themselves so that when the EV thing fails, they can go to the government hat in hand saying we did what you told us to, now we are going bankrupt, and you are obligated to bail us out!
That's what actually kind of what happened with the 2008-2009 bailout of General Motors. I believe part of the bailout agreement is that Hummer, Saturn, and Pontiac had to go away as part of that deal from what I understood. Regarding the push for 100% EV Toyota doesn't believe that going all EV is quite the solution. Here's one example of that per this article. Why Toyota – the world's largest automaker – isn't all-in on electric vehicles

Their decision to go into building electric cars will put the death nail in Dodge and Chrysler,Ram and Jeep will be sold off to other companies.
I think Stellantis kind of knows that and that's why you're seeing mark ups on Challenger, Chargers, 300s, and Rams (well TRX) anyways. When Ford is starting to condone this type of behavior and crackdown allegedly. It's a been a while but, this almost happened in 2017 I believe. Here's an article that kind pointed in that direction. Dodge, Jeep and Ram could soon be owned by Chinese automakers - Autoblog

That's sad, glad I got my Gladiator Rubicon 1st edition Limited
when I did, not wait...

Exactly, @XS22J8R another bail-out with US Taxpayers' Dollars,
on/off the backs of working citizens/mostly all middle class,
those actual taxpayers/property owners & business owners' bank accounts
of the working class

you know the people that actually pay taxes, that fund the lefts'/govt. giveaways

not their base

it's never their money, it's ours

more too big to fail BS, pushing bad deals/projects

D) EV - coal fired charged EV liberals thinking they are saving the world.jpg

Last edited:
That's sad, glad I got my Gladiator Rubicon 1st edition Limited
when I did, not wait...

Exactly, @XS22J8R another bail-out with US Taxpayers' Dollars,
on/off the backs of working citizens/mostly all middle class,
those actual taxpayers/property owners & business owners' bank accounts
of the working class

you know the people that actually pay taxes, that fund the lefts'/govt. giveaways

not their base

it's never their money, it's ours

more too big to fail BS, pushing bad deals/projects

View attachment 1385515
I just have a quick question, sir. If the government hadn’t bailed/helped them out, where would they be now? I think they all paid the debt back. Thousands of jobs were saved, and we‘re all driving non American company new vehicles.

I just have a quick question, sir. If the government hadn’t bailed/helped them out, where would they be now? I think they all paid the debt back. Thousands of jobs were saved, and we‘re all driving non American company new vehicles.
If the government hadnt been in there screwing around/screwing things up, there would have been no need for it in the first place. If the government hadnt been busily offshoring manufacturing, there would have been no need. If the government hadnt been giving away/selling technology, there would have been no need. If the government would have tried to protect domestic industry/ies, there would have been no need.
Need I go on?

To answer your question if Chrysler wouldn't have been bailed out back in the late 2000s there was talk of selling them to a Chinese Buyer (Chery) or being sold off to GM or GMAC at that time. GM, Cerberus step up Chrysler sale talks: sources and another link regarding the deal with Chery. Chrysler, China's Chery to seal vehicle alliance

Those of us over 65 have been here before. The 1973 oil embargo shook things up much as the virus did. Chrysler stumbled in the transition, went through bankruptcy. At that time I was kind of surprised that the prices of our beloved B bodies didn't go through the roof, as I figured we would never see anything like them again. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Viper in 1992, followed by the current V8 muscle within the next two decades.

I drove 1960s Mopars for 30 years, my personal rejection of the stuff built in the 70s and 80s. Though arising from different root causes, the current economic situation seems pretty close to what happened in the 70s.
The owner of the local Plymouth dealership could see the writing on the wall, when he held on to the '69 GTX he drove for 15 years. The cycle may go around again, but will take another generation, if history repeats itself.

It all went to hell in a handbasket when Eaton figured he had to pair up with Mercedes, Chrysler was doing great on it's own and were kicking it, we didn't need the Germans, the Germans needed us. For me Chrysler was over when Eaton made that mistake, it's been foreign controlled since then and it will never come back. The Europeans have always had an unjustified Superiority complex when it comes to cars, Fiats, Peugeots, VW's, BMW's, all overrated junk.
I think we need a fresh start in North American automaking and GM and Ford may fall or weaken as well, they're too top heavy and set in their methods and ideologies. The Europeans build junk, the Asians are great followers, for fresh innovation nothing beats North America but we need new management not old, fat and lazy management.

If the government hadnt been in there screwing around/screwing things up, there would have been no need for it in the first place. If the government hadnt been busily offshoring manufacturing, there would have been no need. If the government hadnt been giving away/selling technology, there would have been no need. If the government would have tried to protect domestic industry/ies, there would have been no need.
Need I go on?
I’m not just talking Chrysler. You don’t think the corporations themselves did that for profit? I lived in Kenosha when Chrysler bought AMC. They tried to renegotiate the contract with the union when it came time. The union wouldn’t really negotiate and they finally quit building cars there, they only built engines. Employment went from about 14,000 at peak to about 2500, when they finally shut it down. I knew guys who worked there, some got lucky, some not so much. I’m not going to make this political in anyway. Think of Detroit. Do you honestly think that was the fall of the auto capital of the world? I think they did try, hence the loans to all three. Fords was actually earlier than GM and Chrysler.

Need I go on?
Exactly.

When Obama forced GM to close Pontiac, that was the stupidest decision of the closures. Pontiac had the youngest average age buyer of all GM divisions, including Chevrolet.

And they kept Buick…

I think that deep down, ALL the auto manufacturers know that this EV crap is not going to be sustainable over the long haul. But, while governments are giving out EV $$$$, the manufacturers are going to line up to get their bags of candy. Hopefully they are using this cash to tool their factories so that the assembly lines used to produce EV's can quickly be converted to build ICE cars again when reality sets in.
Last summer, California residents were being told not to run their home A/C, because the electrical grid would no longer support it. At the same time, California is mandating the sale of only EV vehicles in their state in a few years. How is this going to work? Ford has pulled the plug on their EV Mustangs over unresolved battery problems. The State of Texas, which has its own independant electrical grid, experienced a near total shut down when hit with hurricanes and flooding. In nearby London, Ontario, a city of 400,000, a PUC insider said that putting ONE car charger on each street in the city would collapse its electrical grid.

Last edited:
Exactly.

When Obama forced GM to close Pontiac, that was the stupidest decision of the closures. Pontiac had the youngest average age buyer of all GM divisions, including Chevrolet.

And they kept Buick…
The reason why Buick stayed with GM is because the Buick brand sells big in China and supposedly the Chinese view Buick how older generations viewed Imperial, Lincoln, and Cadillac. Here's one source of that Buick is a lot more than a dad wagon in China

And that's the problem. I personally don't give a rat's a*^ about what they do in China and our manufacturers didn't use to either. Now our manufacturers are going to pay the price. They were a lot stronger when they were proud and stood on their own.

Wonder how much $$$$ China invested in bail out? GM was putting more money into China at the time than U.S.

And that's the problem. I personally don't give a rat's a*^ about what they do in China and our manufacturers didn't use to either. Now our manufacturers are going to pay the price. They were a lot stronger when they were proud and stood on their own.
How about all the tea?

Sorry, poor dad humor.

Auto Transport Service
Back