• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stereo upgrade '67 vert

Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded the sound in their convertible?
I have a '67 Coronet Rag and would like to avoid hacking the panels just to add speakers. I'm installing a twin 4" speaker unit in the 4x10 dash but don't think that'll be enough oomph. Also a sub under the rear seat. Now I need some ideas for the rear seat speakers without cutting up my panels.
The convertible well was a thought but will the sound be lost in there?

Thanks.

i guess youre pretty limited as far as speakers go. 4 inch speakers are not going to sound all that great with the top down ...or the top up for that matter. for speakers to sound good,,, they need to move "air". and be in an enclosure of sort. i have been in loud rock bands my whole life and have a few sound systems behind me as we speak, and the key is a good enclosure...bass - mid- and highs. and lots of power ( amps). have you thought of 6x9 speaker enclosures in addition to the 4 inchers up front with the sub?? youll need power for all of that !

Has anyone upgraded the sound in their convertible?
I have a '67 Coronet Rag and would like to avoid hacking the panels just to add speakers. I'm installing a twin 4" speaker unit in the 4x10 dash but don't think that'll be enough oomph. Also a sub under the rear seat. Now I need some ideas for the rear seat speakers without cutting up my panels.
The convertible well was a thought but will the sound be lost in there?

Thanks.
good question i have the same problem gtx 67 rag

On my 68 Barracuda, 2 4s in the front, and I have 6x9s in boxs behind the seat. I have them set up with quick disconnects, so I can put them in the trunk at shows. Top down at 65, and can still hear the radio.

How about this - this rear panel is from my '66 Coronet ragtop. My Dad bought this car in 1976 (I was 8) and as long as I can remember it has had these speaker grille holes drilled in them. A 4x10 speaker bolts on the back side and fits nicely. I'm not sure if my dad did this or the previous owner did it, but I think it is a pretty good idea. I had the factory radio converted to FM, and I put a dual voice coil speaker (4x10) in the factory dash speaker location. Overall it is very clean installation and sounds great. Another cool thing about the FM conversion is that I can plug in my IPOD and play music through the car radio. The holes are hardly noticable in the car - Im sure you could do a better job than this if you take your time.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 208
I'm in the process of making a wooden 'console' that will fit under the dash and straddle the transmission hump. I have an after-market AM/FM CD that will be in it; 2 4X6 speakers mounted to the sides and 2 bookshelf speakers under the seat. I had seen a similar set-up on a car for sale a few years ago, and liked what I saw.
The console will be able to be removed in about 15 seconds if I want to have the completely original look; no change to the dash or glove compartment.
I'm going to this after mounting an FM/SD card amplifier in my aftermarket armrest. That worked OK, but didn't have the output I wanted, and the FM didn't pick up signals really well.
I plan to post pics by next weekend.

pictures as promised

As promised- here are the pictures of my radio upgrade.
The first picture is of the armrest SD/USB/FM amplifier that I had installed and connected to speakers under the seat by a quick connector. It just didn't have the power to overcome the wind noise with the top down, the FM reception sucked, and I missed having a CD player.
After seeing a similar one on a picture somewhere on line, I made this box for an 'in dash' CD/stereo receiver and speakers that I picked up at a garage sale.
Again, this is connected with a quick disconnect so I can remove it should I want to show the car. The key lock on top is for an extra long barrel lock (cam lock) and when locked, the extension juts up under the dash so the box can't be removed. I did this so it wouldn't become a projectile in an accident, and to prevent the 'opportunistic' theft.
I have to say, it works really well, plenty loud enough with both the speakers under the seat and the speakers on the side of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_2248 (427x640).jpg
    IMG_2248 (427x640).jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2249 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_2249 (640x427).jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2250 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_2250 (640x427).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2251 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_2251 (640x427).jpg