• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stiff door handle button

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
I know that this is a strange topic but here goes....
The right side door handle in my 70 Charger has a really stiff button. I don't think about it much except when I expect to take the wife along on a road trip.
I usually open the door for her in everything we drive. It is just what I do.
My drivers door seems just fine. No stiffness in the button of any kind but the passenger side is really hard to press. The door has never been hit. The latch seemed fine when I had it out for paint in 2003. The linkage wasn't in a bind as far as I could tell. Does anyone have insight about what could be to blame? Do the latches somehow fail? The door closes fine, no rust in any part of any of it. I'll pull it soon to get a look but I thought I'd check in to see if anyone has dealt with this before.

funny enough i just assembled mine and same thing R/H is stiffer put grease on latches etc still the same

The passenger side door normally doesn't get used nearly as much as the driver side door. It's probably just build up of dust and/or corrosion in the mechanism.

Have you adjusted the linkage? Allen wrench through the small hole in the rear edge of door.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back