• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock 440 camshaft

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Looking to replace the lumpy camshaft in my 440 with a stock camshaft.

Mancini has a Comp Cam kit for $252.00 while the MP kit is a hundred thirty bucks more.

Thoughts on which to go with?

I have the stock cam shaft from a '68 Charger, 440-4bbl. You can have it for shipping, and a case of good beer, maybe a Holiday Amber ! Let me know...

Bob K has a nice cam for a stock engine.

Mark....I have the manufacturer and spec sheet on the cam I used in the X......If needed I can get that info this weekend...

I have a 77 440 from an RV in my car. That thing idles so nice, has quick response on take off, and starts instantly every time! Good idea going to a milder cam. I really like mine.

Mark I used a comp cam 268 high energy cam in my 440 car back in the day. Stock smooth idle and tons of torque. For some reason I thought someone was making stock spec cams for the 440 magnums, but I can't remember who it was at the moment. CRS

High Energy™ 268H; 1200 - 5200 RPM Range
20-210-2_600.jpg

Product Representation: Actual part may vary based on configuration ordered.
Part: 21-215-4
Price: $154.09
Weight: 10.08 lbs FREE SHIPPING OVER $50!
Quantity:
HYDRAULIC • Great Replacement for 383 Magnum w/ 650-750 CFM Carb, Dual Plane Manifold, etc • Smooth Idle 440 w/ Super Torque

Lunati Factory Performance Cam and Lifter Kits 10211005LK
Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 278/288, Lift .455/.470, Chrysler, Big Block, Kit $254.99

I have a 77 440 from an RV in my car. That thing idles so nice, has quick response on take off, and starts instantly every time! Good idea going to a milder cam. I really like mine.

You have the original factory cam in it? Do you know what it is? What rpm does it stop pulling?

Yes, stock one, 46 K miles! Near as I can figure, it's about 246 duration with about .450 lift at best. 77 440 RV motor. If anyone knows the actual cam specs, please let me know. It won't pull much past 4600 RPM, and starts floating valves if I run it to 5000.:usflag:

Both of those cams are bigger than stock. By a good bit. Even the Hughes is 224/228. Although a great street cam, its far from the stocker. If you don't mind spending the money for a MP cam anyway, the .455 sure wouldn't be a bad choice.

First are you interested in a Magnum/ HP cam or a Stocker?
Second - look at ELGIN for either stock grind- most aftermarket Hot rod grinders stock cams are not- more like "our version of"
Third you are looking at 60 year old designs
and the good gas from back then is no longer available at the pump
so double check
what is your compression? rear gear?
has the motor been rebuilt- how many times, what pistons and heads
The HP cam in a low compression motor is a DOG even the standard cam in a low compression motor is slow
problem is the really long closing ramps which kills dynamic compression, increases overlap (like more EGR)
what springs?
you can do much better for a "stock" build than the obsolete "stock" cams

Dave is that p1152270 still good or is it the long discontinued low taper grind that took the flatter radius lifters
anyway that is the spec for the later HP cam
The 268/284 is in MOPAR degrees- around .008 (compare with ENGLE) Exhaust is over 300 CRANE .004 degrees it's like a 280 class Comp .006 cam
designed that way to not click and clack till after warranty and easy on the valve springs

Dave is that p1152270 still good
Sorry wyrmrider, it's lousy picture quality. It is actually P4452270.
Lol, if you look down the line under "application" it looks like "110 Six Pack".

What cam is in the car now other than one that's lumpy??

Is that 228/241 accurate? At a true .050? Seems kinda radical although that is what Summit lists as the restoration cam for a Roadrunner.

Is that 228/241 accurate? At a true .050? Seems kinda radical although that is what Summit lists as the restoration cam for a Roadrunner.
Doesn't sound right. I had a 509 cam, 242 at .050, and it was way more radical than the stock Magnum cam.

Auto Transport Service
Back