• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock resto or Day 2

Day 7300+.:D:D:D
IMG_0192.JPG

I searched for and bought all the missing correct parts for a car, knowing I would never put them on and I would never sell it.

It now has a tunnel ram and a 5 speed, which is what I really wanted.

It's nice to have all of the original parts, but who are they really for?

In hindsight, a waste of time and money.
Also, whatever style is in can effect value, bone stock or day 2, or whatever day or year.

Build to drive. If you an't driving we might see it sold on tv.

I might have a day 2 car I bought by accident. Are there any set rules about what makes a car a day 2?

I go for day *3* ...
Buy,, mod,, drive the hell outta it...
If someone doesn't like it then they should put their name on the title... :p:p

DAY 2 for sure, I like survivors and OE restorations.. but my time/attention is focused on customs/pro-touring/street cars.
I enjoy seeing the infinity and personal touches their owners implement. Hell I've stolen an idea or two....maybe three..but thats it, I promise!
Just gives a little insight to people..

Jennifer, A day 2 car can be as simple as wheels and tires swapped from what came from the factory.Way back when, Big Wide Meats on the rear with a new set of air shocks.Anything changed from when it was factory new.

Stock original any day. Preference for nostalgia? Maybe. Just prefer vintage rides to be exactly alike the day they rolled off the assembly line. Both of my 4-spd rides are numbers matched with all original parts, Broadcast Sheets, etc. Just installed the final missing bit for the '69 RT. Correct DP Dist & Tan Cap. Like winning the lottery to find those "unicorn" parts (correct date & P/N). Seems everyone trashed the DP dists back in the day. Their loss ... my gain
Show quality; just not garage queens. Both get driven like I stole 'em.

Last edited:
Jennifer, A day 2 car can be as simple as wheels and tires swapped from what came from the factory.Way back when, Big Wide Meats on the rear with a new set of air shocks.Anything changed from when it was factory new.
Somebody made a lot of changes on this car. Has to be an 18 spline transmission with at least a 3500lb clutch. I'm not sure the suspension is adequate for the amount of HP it can produce. Whoever put the engine together did a really good job because it runs great. It's a blast to drive and I don't get it out enough. Thanks for the explanation.

I chose the day 2 look for me since I bought my #s matching HEMI GTX in 1976. As an 18 year old the way to go back then was with standard 1970's upgrades. It already had Cragar SS' and an Accel dual point from the prior owner. My first step was to add headers and turbo muffs with turndowns ahead of the rear axle. Then a cam came next. My GTX with 54k miles and original paint is now considered a survivor. Thankfully I wasn't stupid and cut the car up or wrap it around a tree.
The great thing about this hobby is that it is your car and you can do what you want. My 2 sons and I have the best of all worlds. My oldest has a '67 Charger that now has a built 440 with fuel injection. My youngest has a '66 Charger factory HEMI 4spd that we did a ground up restoration on. Of course we enjoy them all. The coolest part is when all 3 of us attend a car show and show the different take on how these cars can be personalized. (Google HEMI's Together, Stay Together Mike Musto - Big Muscle)
How many of you have been to car shows and get some jackass and tells you how he would have done it differently? Only to find out that they don't even own a car. I don't like being rude but keep you opinions to yourself. I like my car the way it is.
I will not listen to anyone that tells me to paint or restore my car, it doesn't need it.
This is a great hobby, just appreciate that there is someone keeping that old car alive no matter what choices have been made for it.
I can't wait to get out and drive mine every Friday night at the local get together and hit some shows this summer.

I love the look of contours original cars and well done day 2 cars that look like they came straight out of 1975. It would depend how complete the car is and who’s paying the bill. If it is missing parts, me personally I’d try and make it look as original and true to the era as I can and wouldn’t hesitate to add era correct aftermarket parts for a day 2 look. No way I’m spending thousands of dollars for date correct belts, hoses and all the other crap and then be too scared to drive it and wear the original parts out. No rims bigger than 15”, no modern looking custom interiors, seats or gauges for me.

My car’s Hemi is long gone-so it won’t be matching numbers - so not sure which way to go with the extras- either headers or manifolds, keystones or stock wheels , etc

Not that Day 2 will affect the restoration until I get to near the end
My 66 car pretty much the same, Hemi-trans-rear long gone. I’m leaning on 1-1/2,-2 day for the stock look with minor changes, 15” wheels instead of the 14” same little caps. IT will be a driver but I don’t know how far with the 4.10 Dana-4 speed-485 Hemi, with the two fours on a rat roaster intake .600 lift cam

I seem to be with the majority - if I see a finely restored rare car I can appreciate it as if it's a time capsule -- I wasn't around for the 60s/70s so it is nice to see a fine restored car - but for my personal cars, I can't afford anything super rare - so my 68 Charger got resto-modded with a 6.1L Hemi / T-56

My 64 Polara will be a "day 2" build as the original 383-2 and auto wouldn't be too exciting. Going with a built 440 with an 8-71, 4-speed, and some period wheels.

Day 2 or maybe.... 2nd owner, late 70's high schooler. I'm never going to grow up!

RR2 (2).jpg
72 RR15 (2).jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back