• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock Rocker Arm Questions - Big Block

PurpleBeeper

Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
I've seen stock iron heads that have "wide" rocker stands (top pic) & "narrow, machined" rocker stands (bottom pick).

1. Do any year stock rockers/shafts fit on either style of rocker stands?
2. What are some decent quality aftermarket, stock-style rockers that aren't too expensive?

upload_2018-1-7_11-22-17.png

upload_2018-1-7_11-22-38.png

THANK YOU!

I'm not positively positive that all year shafts interchage but I'm using the original-style on my edelbrock heads at the moment and they fit & work fine, w/ Sealed Power rockers..made in USA, from summit..their picture is wrong it shows a stud-mount rocker but the R828/R829 part #s are the correct ones (8 right and 8 left)

hard chrome shafts from rocker arm rebuilders in anderson ca
HD rockers are NLA - you can get rockers them from Elgin ( I think there is only one source now but do not know exactly who it is)
I like to use LA/AMC oil through the pushrods even on stock rockers as burning/ pushing a pushrod through the cup is not uncommon with added spring pressure

Thanks Dave,
- looks like the rocker shafts are the same from the 1958 350 - 1978 440.
- looks like the rocker arms are the same from 1959 361 - 1978 440 (must be something odd about '58 350 rockers)

So, I wonder why the rocker shaft stands were changed by Chrysler? I know I had to file the center stand and the inside of the outer stands so Isky ductile iron rockers would fit. (71 heads) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had to file the stands on heads that are "already filed", so to speak, like my top picture. I've seen many stock heads over the years both ways, but never figured out which ones have the machined stands & which ones were not machined or ever heard why.

I couldn't say why the differences. Some speculation could be worn or damaged casting molds? An issue with stands breaking? Different suppliers? Further back ('62ish?) I guess there was flats on the heads for the rocker shaft supports to bolt on.
There's a tiny paragraph in the MP book regarding arm to tip alignment. Basically grind and space as necessary. Not completely sure it's directed at the hydraulic arms though.

Any time you use aftermarket stuff with stock type heads, you will most likely need to make modifications.....

Auto Transport Service
Back