• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stop leaking

Ken Milton

Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi All
I recently had my transmission rebuilt and now it's sitting in my garage for winter. I have noticed that the tranny pan is leaking around the cork gasket. I tightened the bolts a couple times now and it still leaks. How do I seal it? Or should I go buy a aftermarket pan that uses a rubber seal?

Hi All
I recently had my transmission rebuilt and now it's sitting in my garage for winter. I have noticed that the tranny pan is leaking around the cork gasket. I tightened the bolts a couple times now and it still leaks. How do I seal it? Or should I go buy a aftermarket pan that uses a rubber seal?
Make sure it is the pan gasket and not coming from a higher point. Common areas are 1-Dipstick 0-ring, 2-Shift shaft seal, 3-reverse servo shaft o-ring.

Probably the age-old classic of the neanderthal tightening the bolts at 100 ft-lbs. At this point, drain the fluid, remove the pan, flatten the pan rails and check straightness with a straightedge, use a new gasket applied with indian-head, tighten to *torque specs*.

Make sure it is the pan gasket and not coming from a higher point. Common areas are 1-Dipstick 0-ring, 2-Shift shaft seal, 3-reverse servo shaft o-ring.
Yes so I have checked the whole thing, and the only place it continues to be wet is around one corner of the pan.

Yes so I have checked the whole thing, and the only place it continues to be wet is around one corner of the pan.
Dry the complete area with brake clean. Especially over the suspect area. Let it sit and touch the area above the pan rail looking for a trace of fluid on your fingers. Most of the time it is hard to see and the area always looks like the pan as that's where it becomes the drop that will drip to the ground. It could be the gasket. Seen many gaskets blamed when the leak was elsewhere. What corner is it dripping from?

Probably the age-old classic of the neanderthal tightening the bolts at 100 ft-lbs. At this point, drain the fluid, remove the pan, flatten the pan rails and check straightness with a straightedge, use a new gasket applied with indian-head, tighten to *torque specs*.
I've never heard of Indian head. Is that a silicone or sealant?

Dry the complete area with brake clean. Especially over the suspect area. Let it sit and touch the area above the pan rail looking for a trace of fluid on your fingers. Most of the time it is hard to see and the area always looks like the pan as that's where it becomes the drop that will drip to the ground. It could be the gasket. Seen many gaskets blamed when the leak was elsewhere. What corner is it dripping from?

It is dropping from the passenger front corner

Drop the pan, get rid of the cork gasket and get a rubber one. If the center of the pan rail is raised tap it flat lightly with a hammer. Clean the transmission gasket surface with a scraper, the tech may have missed a piece of the old gasket. Reinstall the pan and fil with fluid.

Drop the pan, get rid of the cork gasket and get a rubber one. If the center of the pan rail is raised tap it flat lightly with a hammer. Clean the transmission gasket surface with a scraper, the tech may have missed a piece of the old gasket. Reinstall the pan and fil with fluid.

I will do just that. Kinda makes me mad when you pay a "professional " to do it and then have to go behind him and fix stuff. Am I wrong for thinking that?

Kinda makes me mad when you pay a "professional " to do it and then have to go behind him and fix stuff. Am I wrong for thinking that?
Not at all. The joke in the Mopar world is "It ain't a Mopar if it don't leak"
Well known for auto trans leaks and rear main seals.
I did my 904 with a new deep steel pan and it leaked not a drop
Then I got a bright Idea to change out the shifter to a aftermarket cable type. Yep won't stop leaking now.
Guess it's time for a do over.

Auto Transport Service
Back