Stop leaking

moes

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
ditch the cork gasket get one of these and you will never have a leak from the pan again. This is the best 727 transmission pan gasket I've used.

Mopar 727 transmission pan gasket 2464324ac and it is reusable to. You can still get them at your local Mopar dealer

Ken Milton

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Not at all. The joke in the Mopar world is "It ain't a Mopar if it don't leak"
Well known for auto trans leaks and rear main seals.
I did my 904 with a new deep steel pan and it leaked not a drop
Then I got a bright Idea to change out the shifter to a aftermarket cable type. Yep won't stop leaking now.
Guess it's time for a do over.
Lmao.....guess I will just carry a spill pan with me then....

Ken Milton

Local time
Reaction score
ditch the cork gasket get one of these and you will never have a leak from the pan again. This is the best 727 transmission pan gasket I've used.

Mopar 727 transmission pan gasket 2464324ac and it is reusable to. You can still get them at your local Mopar dealer
Fantastic, I like the sound of that. Thanks for the number, should make it easy for them to look up.

R413

Local time
Reaction score
It will only drip from the low corner, so it depends on the rake of the car and the floor it is on. Raise the front of the car and it won’t drip from the front anymore.

many leaks are not the pan. Clean it and find the real leak. Remember that shit runs downhill.

A cork gasket can work fine. It is best to go with zero sealer on a trans pan.

Ken Milton

Local time
Reaction score
It will only drip from the low corner, so it depends on the rake of the car and the floor it is on. Raise the front of the car and it won’t drip from the front anymore.

many leaks are not the pan. Clean it and find the real leak. Remember that shit runs downhill.

Ken Milton

Local time
Reaction score

Good advise.

66Satellite47

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Never liked the cork pan gaskets. Used the Fel Pro style sorta rubber gaskets, made sure the pan bolt area is flat, and DON"T over tighten the bolts. Passenger front corner sounds likely to be the dipstick tube. A fresh O ring should correct that with proper insertion.

Photon440

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
71mFh9tGntL.jpg

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
copper coat on both sides of the gasket works wonders

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score

THIS! As pointed out here the lowest point doesn't mean the leak is there. Absolutely no leak from the pan on my Dart, yet it drips off the passenger front corner. Leak is from the shifter/throttle shaft seals and leaks out the seals, down the case and around 1/2 the pan while she's parked.

WileERobby

Local time
Reaction score
THIS! As pointed out here the lowest point doesn't mean the leak is there. Absolutely no leak from the pan on my Dart, yet it drips off the passenger front corner. Leak is from the shifter/throttle shaft seals and leaks out the seals, down the case and around 1/2 the pan while she's parked.
Kinda like wiping yer ass when the goo is oozing from yer ear.....

tonysrt

Local time
Reaction score
If tranny was just rebuilt and not installed in the car yet why is it filled with fluid? Usually just a little fluid not so much as to have a leak.

4mulas

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Well, just so you know, Canada (where the original poster resides) is so effing politely correct they don’t sell Indian head shellac (aside from Amazon maybe) and if they did they’d likely have to call it ‘Indigenous Head Shallac’ etc. it’s become really stupid up here and you can’t offend anyone by saying something like Indian.Aviation form a gasket is essentially, if not identically, the same thing

RemCharger

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
Well, just so you know, Canada (where the original poster resides) is so effing politely correct they don’t sell Indian head shellac (aside from Amazon maybe) and if they did they’d likely have to call it ‘Indigenous Head Shallac’ etc. it’s become really stupid up here and you can’t offend anyone by saying something like Indian.Aviation form a gasket is essentially, if not identically, the same thing
How about Northern Hawaiin Shellac?

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
No need for sealer or special gaskets. Takes two things. A straight pan. Properly tightened bolts. I’ve built over 25 Torqueflites in the last year or so. The majority with stock style cork gaskets. None used sealer. No complaints of any leaks. Many time, the pan gasket is blamed. When in reality it’s ; dipstick tube O ring, trans line fittings, shift selector seals, kick down shaft seal, rear band anchor pin O ring, tail shaft gasket. All will allow fluid to run down and follow around the pan gasket.
Doug

Ken Milton

Local time
Reaction score
No need for sealer or special gaskets. Takes two things. A straight pan. Properly tightened bolts. I’ve built over 25 Torqueflites in the last year or so. The majority with stock style cork gaskets. None used sealer. No complaints of any leaks. Many time, the pan gasket is blamed. When in reality it’s ; dipstick tube O ring, trans line fittings, shift selector seals, kick down shaft seal, rear band anchor pin O ring, tail shaft gasket. All will allow fluid to run down and follow around the pan gasket.
Doug
Thank you Doug, after reading this I think I will take it back to the tranny shop that rebuilt the thing and get him to fix it correctly.