• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stop leaking

ditch the cork gasket get one of these and you will never have a leak from the pan again. This is the best 727 transmission pan gasket I've used.

Mopar 727 transmission pan gasket 2464324ac and it is reusable to. You can still get them at your local Mopar dealer

Not at all. The joke in the Mopar world is "It ain't a Mopar if it don't leak"
Well known for auto trans leaks and rear main seals.
I did my 904 with a new deep steel pan and it leaked not a drop
Then I got a bright Idea to change out the shifter to a aftermarket cable type. Yep won't stop leaking now.
Guess it's time for a do over.
Lmao.....guess I will just carry a spill pan with me then....

ditch the cork gasket get one of these and you will never have a leak from the pan again. This is the best 727 transmission pan gasket I've used.

Mopar 727 transmission pan gasket 2464324ac and it is reusable to. You can still get them at your local Mopar dealer
Fantastic, I like the sound of that. Thanks for the number, should make it easy for them to look up.

It will only drip from the low corner, so it depends on the rake of the car and the floor it is on. Raise the front of the car and it won’t drip from the front anymore.

many leaks are not the pan. Clean it and find the real leak. Remember that **** runs downhill.

A cork gasket can work fine. It is best to go with zero sealer on a trans pan.

It will only drip from the low corner, so it depends on the rake of the car and the floor it is on. Raise the front of the car and it won’t drip from the front anymore.

many leaks are not the pan. Clean it and find the real leak. Remember that **** runs downhill.

Good advise.

Never liked the cork pan gaskets. Used the Fel Pro style sorta rubber gaskets, made sure the pan bolt area is flat, and DON"T over tighten the bolts. Passenger front corner sounds likely to be the dipstick tube. A fresh O ring should correct that with proper insertion.

71mFh9tGntL.jpg

copper coat on both sides of the gasket works wonders

THIS! As pointed out here the lowest point doesn't mean the leak is there. Absolutely no leak from the pan on my Dart, yet it drips off the passenger front corner. Leak is from the shifter/throttle shaft seals and leaks out the seals, down the case and around 1/2 the pan while she's parked.

THIS! As pointed out here the lowest point doesn't mean the leak is there. Absolutely no leak from the pan on my Dart, yet it drips off the passenger front corner. Leak is from the shifter/throttle shaft seals and leaks out the seals, down the case and around 1/2 the pan while she's parked.
Kinda like wiping yer *** when the goo is oozing from yer ear.....

If tranny was just rebuilt and not installed in the car yet why is it filled with fluid? Usually just a little fluid not so much as to have a leak.

Well, just so you know, Canada (where the original poster resides) is so effing politely correct they don’t sell Indian head shellac (aside from Amazon maybe) and if they did they’d likely have to call it ‘Indigenous Head Shallac’ etc. it’s become really stupid up here and you can’t offend anyone by saying something like Indian.Aviation form a gasket is essentially, if not identically, the same thing

Well, just so you know, Canada (where the original poster resides) is so effing politely correct they don’t sell Indian head shellac (aside from Amazon maybe) and if they did they’d likely have to call it ‘Indigenous Head Shallac’ etc. it’s become really stupid up here and you can’t offend anyone by saying something like Indian.Aviation form a gasket is essentially, if not identically, the same thing
How about Northern Hawaiin Shellac?

No need for sealer or special gaskets. Takes two things. A straight pan. Properly tightened bolts. I’ve built over 25 Torqueflites in the last year or so. The majority with stock style cork gaskets. None used sealer. No complaints of any leaks. Many time, the pan gasket is blamed. When in reality it’s ; dipstick tube O ring, trans line fittings, shift selector seals, kick down shaft seal, rear band anchor pin O ring, tail shaft gasket. All will allow fluid to run down and follow around the pan gasket.
Doug

No need for sealer or special gaskets. Takes two things. A straight pan. Properly tightened bolts. I’ve built over 25 Torqueflites in the last year or so. The majority with stock style cork gaskets. None used sealer. No complaints of any leaks. Many time, the pan gasket is blamed. When in reality it’s ; dipstick tube O ring, trans line fittings, shift selector seals, kick down shaft seal, rear band anchor pin O ring, tail shaft gasket. All will allow fluid to run down and follow around the pan gasket.
Doug
Thank you Doug, after reading this I think I will take it back to the tranny shop that rebuilt the thing and get him to fix it correctly.

Fantastic, I like the sound of that. Thanks for the number, should make it easy for them to look up.
Looking at this old post, have to ask did the above recommended reusable gasket work at sealing the tranny pan?
Also does that gasket number fit the early Torqueflites? I look up that 2464324AC number and 2001-2009 trans comes up.

This number covers the 727 based units. 46rh/re, 47rh/re, 48re. Can be used from 62 on. There is also one for the 904 based unit, think its 4295875ac, but you need to check. Covers 904, 998, 999, 42rh/re, 44re. One thing thought on these two gaskets and very important. Per the TSB that announced these new gaskets, came out in late 90's/early 2000, there is a corresponding pan bolt that needs to be used with them because the gasket is a little thicker and the new bolt is like two threads longer. If you use the standard bolt, you can strip out the bolt holes in the trans case since there may not be enough thread engagement. I don't remember the bolt number, you'll need to contact a dealer to get the number or bolts.
Cork gaskets are a well known leaker of fluids. The mothership used to use them then phased them out to the new unit to stop the incontinence issue. The newer RWD transmissions use a special RTV sealer on the pan instead of gaskets. Same goes on the FWD units but that started not long after they came out. The correct sealer is fluid specific for ATF usage. They used to have to use a small bottle of an additive that kept the ATF from foaming on the FWD cars because of the reaction between the sealer and the fluid but that stopped when the new sealer came out. So if you decide to use sealer only or a light smear of it on the gasket, make sure it's compatible with ATF.

Auto Transport Service
Back