Story of my first A12

A12 Mopar Discussions

1. joe smith

joe smith Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:12 PM
    Anything like mine and you would have missed half of your High School classes because it was BROKE down and undependable to get you to school and back...

2. biomedtechguy

biomedtechguy Accelerati Rapidus Maximus FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:12 PM
    Thanks for the reality check...
    My 727 transmission crapped out, but it was relatively cheap to have fixed at a chain transmission repair shop. I also had to have the oil pump replaced, which may have been a sign of excessive wear of the main bearings in retrospect. No real reason for the wear, it only had 5X,XXX miles on it when I bought it in 78, and was driven mostly by the owner's wife. Yep, a 71 Charger R/T grocery getter! I had to change the starter as well. Did that by pulling the front wheels up on a curb, slid under the car on my back, and with my arms stretched out over my head, I put that heavy starter in.
    If I only had the strength and stamina now that I have so many more of the required tools and knowledge...

3. 33 IMP

33 IMP FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    7:12 PM
    When i first got my A12, in the mid eighties, i minded my own business, and didn't look for trouble, (yeah right?!). Mine had been repainted the original color, but had lost the 440 6bbl sticker on the hood as a result. I also ran it with the black wheels, with
    dodge hubcaps (i didn't care for the factory naked look, and besides, i liked the red ring on the dodge caps)
    One day, i decided to just leave my centerlines on the car for a while. My runner, which people hardly noticed with poverty caps, soon had more attention from the squirrels than i wanted with the centerlines.
    Minding my own business one day, a couple guys pulled up next to me at a light, in a mid 70s z28. The driver said he was selling it to the other guy and he wanted to show him how fast it was. I didn't really want to, but i said, OK.
    Light turns green, he stands on it, i keep up with him at about 2/3 throttle, still only in the center carb. He shifts, and i stand on it, still in first. He's suddenly three cars back, my car barks second, (fmvb), leg it hard till the shift into third, barks tires, he's ten cars back and turns off before the next light.
    I wonder if he sold that camaro?

• Like Like x 2
    • GetX'd

GetX'd Making Life Great Again! FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Cool story - thx for sharing. I had 3 brothers in Nam at that time. I’m the one that bought the ride tho. Got hooked on 68 GTX - couldn’t let go. Just sold it about 6 months ago after 48 years. I cloned it with the A12 setup way back in the day. She really screamed. Still does.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricks_RR

ricks_RR Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service in keeping us safe :usflag::usflag::thankyou::thankyou:

• biomedtechguy

Local Time:
        When I test drove my 70 V-code Roadrunner at Fast Lane in St. Charles MO, it pulled to the right and the outboard carbs were not opening. I bought it anyway, and I'm glad I did, because my baby deserved a good home and the issues addressed.
        Adjusting the 2 rods that regulate the point where the outboard carbs can open fixed that. The rear carb throttle blades were hanging up a bit, but a few cycles of WOT along with the rods adjustment fixed that. Pretty exciting when I stabbed the gas and felt the outboard carbs kick in for the first time.
        That's my point. The difference in performance between the HP 440 4bbl in my stock 71 Charger R/T w/auto and 3.23 R&P and the 292/.509 cammed 6bbl 440 in my 70 V-code Roadrunner with the 4 speed and 3.54 Dana 60 seems to be a much bigger difference than the specs would suggest.
        I'd love to do a side by side comparison of the 440 4bbl and the 440 6bbl with all other parameters identical. I get the feeling that it may seem like a bigger difference between the 2 than 15 horsepower and 10 ft lbs of torque.
        The A12 cars are impressive, and I know just the transformation that the 6 pack setup and all that means is enough for me, but the A12 as a whole was truly THE definition of what an upgraded Roadrunner or Super Bee should be! A reasonably priced, all of the right stuff in the right place muscle car, like the mandatory 4.10 R&P, boxed frame, skidplate support, Dana 60, etc, WITHOUT the ability to or the factory adding a lot of available or standard included accessories that reduce the ultimate performance.
        I am absolutely one of THE biggest fans of the A12 concept, and the V-code as well.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • ramchager63

ramchager63 Member

Local Time:
          8:12 PM

• ramchager63

ramchager63 Member

Local Time:
          8:12 PM
          Great story really like it. Just got my first roadrunner two weeks ago 383 4 speed numbers match post car. I'm glad to be apart of the forum to read stories like that.

20191213_103427.jpg

• Like Like x 2
          • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
          • 70chall440

70chall440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            Awesome story, great car. Just something about a 6 pack car, I've never owned a factory one but I have owned (and still own) a number of cars with 6 packs; currently a 440 and stroked 340 with EFI 6 packs, love them.

• Like Like x 1
            • bluefury

bluefury Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              A pet peeve....... Just for the record. My A12 Road Runner was a 440 6BBL. Six Packs were Dodge Super Bee's. :poke:

• Agree Agree x 2
              • biomedtechguy

Local Time:
                I had to debate that when I chose my "prestige plate" for my V-code Roadrunner...
                After having a "MADE 4 2" license on my TWO SEATER Corvette, and the number of people who asked "They only made forty-two like that?" (it was an 82 Collectors Edition) I knew that I wanted my license to be easy to understand, so rather than "6BBL440" I chose "6PAK440"
                The same reason why I didn't want "4406PAK" or "4406BBL" so I would not get a question about "four thousand four hundred six" of....whatever...LOL

• bluefury

bluefury Well-Known Member

Local Time:

The tag on my last 6bbl read.... six 2go

• Like Like x 1
                • 6PKRTSE

6PKRTSE Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  Cool story. Thank you for your service. I love six pack cars. I have never had a real A12 so I made a lift off hood car out of my 69' Coronet R/T. I also have a sixpack 70' Charger.

Coronet pics #2 006.jpg 20150811_164903.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                  • OldToys

OldToys Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                    What a cool story, and thank you for your service.
                    I just got an A12 and loving it. My build sheet says it came with wheels painted orange and dog dish caps, this picture shows both. Do you know if this A12 came from the factory like pictured?

• 33 IMP

33 IMP FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                    To the best of my limited knowledge, the a12 cars all came with black wheels, fifteen inchers, g70-15 Goodyear redlines, no hubcaps, and chrome lug nuts with tits.
                    BUT.... with mopar, never say never! They have been proven to have done stuff that they said they never did. We a12 guys would love to see the wheel and tire section of your broadcast sheet. You show me yours, I'll show you mine?

• Durandal25

Durandal25 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                    Such a cool story. I really appreciate it.

• vitamin c

vitamin c FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                    The cars came with black wheels, no caps. I think all the build sheets show body color wheels.

• WS23RT

WS23RT Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                    Thank you for your service and what a story. That's awesome.

A friend of mine's step dad bought a 1969 HEMI Roadrunner brand-new. A few months later the A12 was released and he promptly traded his HEMI in for the 6BBL. It's an interesting story for a different time. I'll try and get pics of his cars and make my own post.

• Like Like x 1
                    • biomedtechguy

Local Time:
                      As awesome as the :lowdown:426 HEMI is and always will be, this in no way takes anything from that well deserved legendary status...
                      The difference in the experience of driving a HP 440 4bbl auto and my current warmed over 440 6bbl manual transmission Roadrunner is like a different engine entirely! I can't say it enough: when a strong running, properly tuned 440 6bbl opens up those outboard carbs...WHAT A RUSH!!
                      Mega kudos to the :lowdown: A-12 cars, truly the essence of what a muscle car IS, and a great showcase for the amazing experience that a 440 6bbl can provide!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.