• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Story of my first A12

My early 329 Road Runner has the body color broadcast sheet code and F70X on the trunk lid

I learned something new today. I dug out a photocopy of my broadcast, and sure enough, it says body color wheels, and dog dishes. I KNOW mine came with black wheels, no caps and chrome lugs with tits. It does have the correct tire code on the broadcast, and g70x15 written in grease pencil on the bottom side of the trunk lid.
Thats great info, thanks for sharing

When I got my A12 in 87 I had the wheels painted body color and they stayed that way until 2005 when I finally painted them black.

You need to remember that the A12 cars were built as 383 delete cars. The 440 was added later. The build sheets will usually read as standard 383 build sheets as the cars left the assembly line and were "converted" to A12's.

And to throw a wrench in the mix. My A12 Road Runner was delivered new with a set of dog dish caps on it. Prep guy did not know about the "hubcap delete", thought they forgot to include the caps and got a set of "Dodge" hub caps from the parts department. So, technically, a 1 of 1.... LOL.

Last edited:
You need to remember that the A12 cars were built as 383 delete cars. The 440 was added later. The build sheets will usually read as standard 383 build sheets as the cars left the assembly line and were "converted" to A12's.

And to throw a wrench in the mix. My A12 Road Runner was delivered new with a set of dog dish caps on it. Prep guy did not know about the "hubcap delete", thought they forgot to include the caps and got a set of "Dodge" hub caps from the parts department. So, technically, a 1 of 1.... LOL.
I didn't care for the no-hubcap look either. I ran the red ring dodge doggie dishes on my runner for years!

I will try to provide clarity to the last group of posts in this thread.

A12 was an option to the standard 1969 Super Bee or Road Runner. Per the Engineering Drawing E101, the A12 option upgraded many of the items being discussed. The fender tag and build sheet for an A12 car shows a basic Super Bee or Road Runner and reflects how the car started life until the A12 upgrades were applied on the assembly line. They can be very confusing as only a few codes were changed when a car was optioned with the A12 package.

The only time an A12 car left the assembly line is when it was complete and exited the building at Lynch Road. They did not leave for assembly elsewhere.

No known A12 was outfitted with hub caps from the factory (Item #18 in E101). E101 replaces all standard equipment with the A12 goodies. Yes, the dealer could install them as stated above and I believe this did happen. There is only 1 documented A12 ordered without the 15 x 6 black painted wheels and there is some question if it actually left the factory without the 15 x 6 wheels.

I hope this helps the group with the mystery of the A12 cars. A few more posts will follow.

Happy Easter everyone! We are living in strange times.....

D
69cars1_a.jpg
69cars2_a.jpg
69cars3_a.jpg
69cars4_a.jpg

Last edited:
Other than the codes below, every build sheet for an A12 will look like a normal Super Bee or Road Runner. Remember, the A12 option as described in E101 trumps the standard options but they will still be on the build sheet.

I hope this helps.

D

These codes are unique to A12 vehicles and will be on every A12 build sheet.

Line 1: Vehicle Order Number - The first 3 digits of this box will be either 329 or 426.
Line 1: Engine – M for 440 six pack
Line 1: Special Order 39: A 9 will appear here on all A12 build sheets. (Y39)
Line 2: D Axle: This box will always have a 69 indicating a special order axle. (D69)
Line 2: T-U-W Tires: This box will always be a U7S code indicating special order tires.
Line 3: Pin: This will be only one code, 99, speedometer pinion gear, 40 tooth, orange.
Line 4: Axle: This will be only one code, 999, special order rear axle, 4.10 DANA 60.
Line 6: Combination Groups: A12 – 440 Six Pack Package with Fiberglass Hood

When i first got my A12, in the mid eighties, i minded my own business, and didn't look for trouble, (yeah right?!). Mine had been repainted the original color, but had lost the 440 6bbl sticker on the hood as a result. I also ran it with the black wheels, with
dodge hubcaps (i didn't care for the factory naked look, and besides, i liked the red ring on the dodge caps)
One day, i decided to just leave my centerlines on the car for a while. My runner, which people hardly noticed with poverty caps, soon had more attention from the squirrels than i wanted with the centerlines.
Minding my own business one day, a couple guys pulled up next to me at a light, in a mid 70s z28. The driver said he was selling it to the other guy and he wanted to show him how fast it was. I didn't really want to, but i said, OK.
Light turns green, he stands on it, i keep up with him at about 2/3 throttle, still only in the center carb. He shifts, and i stand on it, still in first. He's suddenly three cars back, my car barks second, (fmvb), leg it hard till the shift into third, barks tires, he's ten cars back and turns off before the next light.
I wonder if he sold that camaro?
That 70 Z28 was not running right if your story is true... I was in many of them in the early 70's and the 70 LT1 was very, very fast....

That 70 Z28 was not running right if your story is true... I was in many of them in the early 70's and the 70 LT1 was very, very fast....
couple guys pulled up next to me at a light, in a mid 70s z28
MID 70s Z-28
@joe smith MID 70s Joe...
The 70 LT-1 was a freaking ANIMAL, especially with a 4.11 and a 4 speed...
I'm saying that and I don't like Camaros.
Even up to 73, the 350 was decent, but the 70 was a monster.
I'll take the A-12, but if both cars were new, it would be a great race to drive in, watch, hear, and would be close enough to bet money on.

No insult intended Joe, but read it again. It says "mid 70s". If memory serves, it was a rubber bumper version.
Now ,as to the 70 z-car, i couldn't agree more. I put a crate 360hp shortblock, (the 1970 z/28 motor) with "slant plug" heads in my 57 belair hdtp, with a fourspeed. It got me into the twelves for the first time, and got me past a Earl Wade prepped Boss 429 on the same pass, at the original irwindale dragstrip, i thin k somewhere around 1974. The most memorable pass i ever made!
That 57 Belair is still sitting in my backyard too. About 15 feet away from my A12.

Last edited:
No insult intended Joe, but read it again. It says "mid 70s". If memory serves, it was a rubber bumper version.
Now ,as to the 70 z-car, i couldn't agree more. I put a crate 360hp shortblock, (the 1970 z/28 motor) with "slant plug" heads in my 57 belair hdtp, with a fourspeed. It got me into the twelves for the first time, and got me past a Earl Wade prepped Boss 429 on the same pass, at the original irwindale dragstrip, i thin k somewhere around 1974. The most memorable pass i ever made!
That 57 Belair is still sitting in my backyard too. About 15 feet away from my A12.
Forgive me, I missed the "Mid" part... Hot rod had an article on 73 and later Z28's and I quote, "they did not have enough horsepower to pull a fat girl off of a tricycle"...
I had a 73 Z28 4 speed car in the mid late 70's... Pretty lame compared to a 70... I must of had 3 friends with 70's, 1 with a 71, and 1 with a 72 ( super low production because of a Chevy strike at the plant(s)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back