• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange spark plug problem. I can't get #3 threaded in properly.

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
Putting in the same thing I took out, but 8 new ones, Autolite 85.
I'm in a tight spot, behind the oil dipstick, and 2 hose connectors for the Borgeson power steering.
I got the old one out, but I've tried 4 times at least to thread the new one in and I only get maybe 2 turns.
Old plug shows NO signs of crossthreading. I'm frustrated.
HELP!

Take out one of the other 'good' plugs at an easy place to get at and try to thread the 'strange' plug in that hole. Then try that 'good' plug in the 'problem' hole for starters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.
Picture of that side of the engine ?
Probably not until Saturday. Very early departure tomorrow for a very long day of work, 2 locations, 2 hours drive each way on top of the work.
I'll post pix asap.
Take out one of the other 'good' plugs at an easy place to get at and try to thread the 'strange' plug in that hole. Then try that 'good' plug in the 'problem' hole for starters.
I already removed and replaced #5 and #6. I tried 2 different new plugs in #3 and they don't want to go. The first one I used some force to get about ½ turn and stopped, knowing it didn't feel right. The spark plug threads weren't happy, I had a sliver of plug thread about ¼" long I was able to get off and out of the plug threads where it had started to crossthread, so I think it would go in an easy hole.
I just don't understand!!
The plug that came out is definitely not crossthreaded, and I don't see how a cast iron 452 head could develop "crossed threads" by just removing a plug!

Amazon product ASIN B0086306NO
These work... Just gotta treat it nice, it's a finesse tool, not a Bubba grade tool... But if your careful it works pretty well..
I was thinking I may need something "like that" and that tool is exactly "the thing".
Of course the spark plug hole is in one of the hardest places to get to.
THAT tool may be exactly what I need.
Thanks.

use a wire brush that's used to clean a battery terminal clamp. Vacuum the hole. thread a good plug by hand.

You might be able to get at it a little better by pulling the drivers side motor mount bolt, and jacking that side of the engine up by the corner of the oil pan.

Lisle makes a tight access chaser on Ebay for less than $10, they work well.
I've had one of the Lisle chasers for 30+ years, they do work well... But you need to catch the original thread, if you start threading into the damaged thread it will follow that & after that you'll be drilling & helicoiling the hole... The one I linked above grabs the threads deep in the hole & you chase the thread on the way out of the hole... So it automatically picks up the un-damaged thread..

Is that one of the plugs with better access from the bottom side. Yes, it's been that long.

Read up a little more on it and it is a better idea to reverse thread it to pull the debris out than to push it in the Cyl. Neat tool.

I've had one of the Lisle chasers for 30+ years, they do work well... But you need to catch the original thread, if you start threading into the damaged thread it will follow that & after that you'll be drilling & helicoiling the hole... The one I linked above grabs the threads deep in the hole & you chase the thread on the way out of the hole... So it automatically picks up the un-damaged thread..
Unfortunately, I got no link out of your post, just an amazon symbol. :(
1666330599754.png

Strange it works for me & apparently others but not for a few... Heres a screen shot, enough info to search if your so inclined..

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 11.13.42 PM.png

Auto Transport Service
Back