• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street Racing Confession(s)

When I was younger Street racing here was a big thing.. High Street in Pottstown which is a **** hole now was a great place to cruise and then race early in the AM.. Had the 1/4 mile marked off at a few places on RT422. With MapleGrove Raceway near by any Big Ford or Chevy show brought them down to cruise at night. Here is my one car weighed over 4,000lbs and through full exhaust ran a best of 10.68 @ over 129mph 1.52 60ft on 10 inch slicks... Had no bar in it and was very quiet with 3 inch out to the bumper so it always looked like a sleeper. Won quite a few races with this car.. It's redone now with a bar in it and a whole new driveline but has been sitting under cover for 22 years while I raised my kids and did other things in life..The day I moved it out from my old house to my new one..Hoping to finish it now that my youngest just graduated..

32470D6C-1354-4A88-8265-3E48EE04C5B1.jpeg

238E1E50-B604-470D-B8BE-1111D70F908C.jpeg

93EFACE7-8AD1-4B69-A0B2-4C7F0DD34AE3.jpeg

0D79BF85-03A0-44B2-A8B1-6FCB9BCB28D8.jpeg

Last edited:
When my kids were growing up I gave up drag racing, and almost never drove my Charger. When I did I was usually liqueured up, so not a real good situation.
But one Saturday night about 15 years ago, I was at the cruise in downtown Massillon, when I left I was driving out Lincolnway which of course is old US 30. Guy got beside me in a late ‘60s GTO and we got into it pretty good. I smoked him, and we pulled over to shoot the bull.
After we went our separate ways, I turned down some side streets to turn around, and while I turned one corner I caught sight of a State Trooper in my mirror. He was following me with his lights off waiting for me to act up. Probably heard us racing but didn’t see us.
Needless to say I drove like grandma the rest of the way home.

Back in the 70s where I used live Rt29 where the northern end starts in Ellicott city and runs south was sparsely populated. Now it is very dense. But back the it was a wide open highway but the intersections all had stop lights....perfect
I had a mildly built 69 Mach1 351 Windsor. It was respectable but not the quickest. I was at a light at st.johns lane and a 69 z28 pulled up next to me and wanted to race. I said sure figuring a loss but fun. Light turned green I whipped him. Next light rt108 same thing. Next light south they changed drivers same results by this time my head was fatter then Kim Kardashian` s *** and they finally turned off.

Same rd headed north at Montgomery rd stoplight a county cop pulled up next to me and I thinking I can mess with him because he stayed back a little.
Light turned green i gassed it but not enough to squeal the tires then ran as fast as could to 55mph, the speed limit. He came next to me smiled and shook his head.

In the late 80's, I had my '71 Demon 340, and every weekend was cruise nights and possibly race nights, depending on who you encountered.

This one particular evening, me and a buddy were cruising Clover Point and the "Checkerboard" at Beacon Hill Park in Victoria BC, Canada. This crimson red '70 Buick GS 350 had been shadowing us for some time through town. Dude and a girl inside.

We reached the point where the main drag turns into the island highway, and we caught the light. It was pretty obvious that IT WAS ON.

I'd say both of us had good reaction times and my Demon was pulling ahead easily. Back then there was a slight gradual curve in the road up ahead. Not a real issue, except for those damn train tracks.

I'm lost in the moment of eating this GS for dinner, and all I hear is my buddy yell "the tracks!". But I had been over them a million times, maybe not this fast, but we clipped over them without issue.

However, the GS did not fare as well, it stumbled and skidded on the tracks, went right across the road, hit a lamp standard, did a full 360 airborne, and landed right side up in a smoking heap.

Nowhere to turn around on a highway, so we booted it to the exit and came back, stashing the car a block or so away.

Both the guy and the girl were out of the car by this time which was a relief to us that they were OK. But it was also obvious that they were ****-faced drunk.

Another thing that became quickly obvious by her screaming at him was that it was HER CAR! Along with an assembly line of very foul & descriptive expletives, we deciphered he had wrecked her car before she even made the first payment!

Since they were OK, we decided to split before the bad boys came and heard tales of street racing.

It is, by far, the night I never forgot.

Stay in school kids, and don't drink & drive.

Last edited:
Lots of street racing in the 60's 70's and 80's. So many stories no one would believe me. The faster cars were at i96 and 12 mile rd. The top end club. What a blast we had.

Lots of street racing in the 60's 70's and 80's. So many stories no one would believe me. The faster cars were at i96 and 12 mile rd. The top end club. What a blast we had.
My street racing was nothing compared with what you guys did in Detroit and the other big cities.

It’s funny I was just thinking the other day that there is NO street scene at all here now.

The serious street racing here took place on abbot drive near the Eppley airport in Omaha in the 80s early 90s. I never made it to a race, but fed on the stories of those that went to watch. A friend had a 73 yellow 4 speed challenger with a roller cammed 440. Not sure how fast it was as the tales get to be pretty tall. But, won a lot of races. He knew he couldn't beat the top guys so he raced the guys that he could beat, and a lot of people lost money. The two fast guys were a 68 Gto out of Lincoln and a 70 1/2 camaro big block. Camaro was from a little town south of Omaha. The pontiac guy was nuts. The races were so close the two cars traded titles often. But the Gto was very feared. Take time to read this article. He was doing stuff that was flat out extreme. This is him in the article..the camaro was fast too, he had to be to give the gto a race. I think he had several kits and a ton of money invested. We raced our cuda, charger, satellite and chevelle at Friday night street races at Scribner and Kansas city. Our cuda was in the 10s. It was a skating rink most nights. Fun times

Building A Supercharged Pontiac 400 Big-Block Engine - Hot Rod Magazine

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking and I wondered if a google search on You tube of Pottstown/422/Stowe etc would pick anything up then I did a Pottstown Road Runner search and low & behold.. First race. I raced this guy on motor, my car ran 11.50's on motor.. Car racing behind me was a tubbed Big Block Firebird ran mid 9's with a fogger you can see the diiference between 116Mph and 140mph..

How about Skip's Fiesta Drive-in on North Ave outside of Chicago (unincorporated Cook Co.). Only Drive-in I ever saw with a "bleach pit" next to the highway starting area. Every Saturday night brought out everything up to and including the Pro-Stockers complete with twin chutes. Sheriff's office would show up with school buses to haul all the drivers away cuffed, impound the cars in the Polk Bros. furniture store parking lot (which was the staging area behind Skip's). Those were the best day's of our lives until a lot of us had to go to work for uncle Sam, "a-way down yonder in VietNam". A lot of great stories from the Skip's days for most of us, but the last great story for some of us.

We were sometimes fairly well organized. We would shut down about 3/4 mile of road out by Tabor Mountain and block traffic with guys on each end with walkie talkies. More than once a cop car would end up getting stopped and have to wait for a run to finish, it sounds weird nowadays but back then a single cop by himself knew better than to start something with a few hundred young men. They also knew by the time they got a few other cops organized and out there that we would be long gone.

Had stuff running mid 9's at 145 in the 84-86 era.

I drove a lot of cars for guys too scared to wheel their own stuff. Remember Joe Sherman telling me I was crazy for driving a particular squirrely Camaro, followed by, but that car is fast. I think Steve might have been cruising the Chevelle wagon around that time.

Back when you didn't have to worry about having a gun pulled on you after beating someone. LOL You couldn't pay me to deal with the stuff I see on youtube today. Welchers and whiners aplenty.

Last edited:
What's the statute of limitations?

Most vivid memories I have are from my twin turbo 96 LT1 Camaro. 2 am, 355 expressway, spotter half mile ahead, going toe to toe with turbo Vipers and nitrous fox bodies.

Eluding the police required almost zero effort.....passing them at 190+ resulted in being rather far away before they even pulled out after you.

Whilst not really a 'confession' - may get to a couple of those later - my favourite story of street racing comes from a time when I was just past 15, and although there, not really a participant...

Had a buddy named Robert, who was the youngest of three boys. His oldest brother was named Gene - we called him Mean Gene, cause, well, he kinda was. Anyway, Mean Gene was a big ol boy ; dark brown hair about to his shoulder blades, a big bushy beard and arms the size of my thighs. I have literally seen Gene pick up a Cragar S/S with an L60-14 tyre mounted on it and throw it like a baseball...at Robert. Gene's daily driver was a 61 Corvette. Red with black soft top and interior, the car had Cragar S/S wheels - rears sticking out of the wheel openings a bit and 4 1/2s on the front- and a pretty stout 327 with 11:1 pistons and a lumpy cam. All this went thru a 4 speed to 4.88s in back. When Gene was driving down the street, all you could see was biceps and hair thru the side window.
Gene had a buddy named Eddie. Eddie was the opposite of Gene ; trim , athletic build, blonde hair somewhat long-ish, but well within 'socially acceptable'/fashion at the time, clean shaven and soft spoken. And Eddie had a hardtop only 62 Corvette. Eddie's car was nicely turned out ; it was painted a metallic gold w/Cragars at this time, soon to be Centerlines, with a black interior. Eddies car had a very trick '301' in it with 12.5 to one squeeze, roller cam and rockers. It RPMed like a two stroke. A snorkel hood scoop covered the two 660s sitting atop a Weiand Tunnel Ram. That car was FAST. I saw it lift the wheels on the street, thru the mufflers and on street tyres, once. And that was in 1975. No tubs, no 4 link, nothing. Just 62 Corvette.

A few miles south of town, there was an area called the Catasham Bottoms. It was an agricultural area and sparsely populated. There is a stretch of road running thru it that is a reasonably wide 2 lane - smooth, flat and completely straight for nearly 2 miles with sod farms on one side and soybeans on the other. That particular area was fairly well known as a good place to conduct scientific and mathematical experiments ; you know, like discovering the practical application of Second Derivatives and doing physics experiments studying the relative accelerative capabilities of varying mechanical combinations housed in differing structures. Ofttimes side by side... All in the name of Science and Research you understand...
So one Friday evening, I was 'spending the night' at Robert's house. We kinda forgot to mention to my folks that Robert's parents were leaving as soon as Robert's dad got home from work to go to a wedding of some relative's kid out of state and had left Mean Gene 'in charge'... Late that night, we piled up in Eddie's old International pickup, Gene driving, me in the front seat, with Robert, a pair of slicks, a small floor jack and a few tools in the back, and followed Eddie out to the Bottoms. There was supposed to be this badfast Cougar coming out there that had apparently loudly opined that his car was the fastest accelerating contrivance extant in at least a hundred square mile area. Eddie had decided to go and prove his theory incorrect. [all in the name of science and research again... ] So, we all roll in, began the normal recon and psy ops, and Gene starts putting the slicks on the car. Pretty soon he hollers at Eddie to throw him the keys.
'How come?'
'So I can get the bleach outta the trunk.'
'You've got the bleach in the truck.'
'No I don’t - you said you threw it in the trunk!'
'NO... I said for you to throw it in the truck!'
'No you didn’t...' etc etc.
They were still mildly arguing when Eddie crawled in the car to fire it up and get the 'experiment' rolling. Finally Eddie said somewhat dismissively 'Aw ferget it. Just p*ss on it...'
Eddie pulled the car up and Gene walked out there with it as normal. However, after the Cougar had completed its 'warm up' and Eddie was pulling into his lane, Gene took him literally, walked to the side of the car, unbuttoned his Levis and let loose in front of the rear tyres! A puddle on each side. We're all standing there aghast and agape as Gene motions Eddie into the 'bleach box' and signals him to light em up! Needless to say that when that Corvette moved into the 'bleach', we all scattered!!!

Fall of '82 I was in the auto mechanic program at the local tech school. One day I brought my buddy's '70 Challenger in to set the points on his 340 (he didn't know how to set dual points and I did). One of the other guys in the class had his 327 El Camino there that day. He was a real joker who liked to talk smack, but he was a good kid. After class, I turned onto Main St, and look who comes up next to me, but the El Camino. I was in 3rd gear doing about 30mph (the Challenger had a 4.30 in it that we were all taking turns having fun swapping in and out of our cars). I slapped it down into 2nd and by the time I was back in 3rd, the El Camino was just a distant memory. Not much of a "race" but it was a lot of fun that day.

Well I have a story similar to 64bels. A couple weeks ago I decided to take the GTX out to the store, 440, 4 speed, 3.55s. I was at a light, light turned green and I gave it too much gas, did a small burnout didn’t think much of things….until I heard a turbo spooling next to me. Person next to me was in a 1 ton dually and thought I was trying something, well as she’s accelerating I though I’m not going to let her talk about her train out ran my car, so I dropped a gear and disappeared, I’m not going to say how fast I was going, but the needle was really far to the right

Don`t get me started! I have street raced at least 500 times. During the 70`s till mid 80`all in Mopars. I can`t remember having just one car.
I`ll tell just one story, though. There was a young man from two hours away who worked for a grocery chain who was in town for a week filling in for someone to go on vacation. One of his local coworkers raced him with his 318 Duster with X heads and was beaten. The out of towner had a 1970 Nova with a LT1 Corvette motor. After work we went about five miles out of town where everyone raced. I was in my 440-6 yellow SuperBird with auto and 3.55 SG because that is what I drove to work that day. The local grocery store worker had assured me that, I would not win. So they told me to line up and take off when I was ready.I did and it was one of only two times that I turned around on the finish line. On the way back I rolled down my window and collected the prize. I have never had that car to the track so I don`t know the et but the speedometer says 117. Wayne

I got my license in 1989. In 1990 I bought a 1985 GLH-T, 5 speed, 146 hp, 2350 lbs dry. The 80's were a glut of gutless V8's so I did pretty good against 5.0s, Firebirds, IROCs, etc.

The race I remember most was against a Firebird 20th Anniversary Edition. What was special about this car was that it had the same engine that was put into the Buick GN. I got smoked not once, but twice. I was amazed as I could hang with about most cars. He pulverized me.

I Remember the guys that ran 18s at Sears Point raceway.
They would modify the shoe polish dial in to read 13s. Then show up at school the next day with impressive ET on windows!!!

Back in the late 60's early 70's, Brooklyn & Queens had wild weekends of street racing. I "observed" probably a dozen different locations.
1675052708415.jpeg
This is an example of what we distributed.

Last edited:
My favorite street racing experience was cruising the Loop in St. Paul back in the day. We were in my friends Chevelle lined up against a split bumper Camaro. The light turned green and off we went, I looked over at the Camaro, he was halfway up on the sidewalk and took out a half dozen parking meters. It was a sight to behold…

Auto Transport Service
Back