• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stroker build

Canada440

Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
Hello. New to the forum. Planning a build for a 72 Charger SE
I would like to build a stroker for a daily driver and have a number of questions. This car will have a 6 speed SST kit installed. (Already have the trans kit)
1- I have a 383 block to start with but I've never built a stroker before and am kind of leaning towards getting a built short block and finishing it from there. Looking at a 493. Final compression of 9.5-10:1 Any suggestions?
2- I really want to put a 6 pack on it. I know I can get more HP from a good 4 barrel setup but I don't need every last HP and wont be revving it much past 5000. Want an engine that will make good torque.
3- looking at hyd roller cams. Comp cams .541/.537 and 230/236 @50
Lunati. .535/.550 and 231/239 @50
In previous builds these cams would have been a bit bigger than what I'm looking for but this will be in a stroker. Would like a cam that makes good torque, lots of vacuum and has a slightly rougher idle than stock
4- Edelbrock RPM heads #60185. By the time I buy 440source heads and change the springs, retainers and locks for a roller cam, I'm not far off in price.
5- headers? What size primary works on a stroker. What brand will fit well in a 72 B body? Was looking at a full TTI setup. Are there better options?
6- k member. Car had a 318 and I've found everywhere says to get the shumaker mounts and bolt it in but... The k member in the car does not look like it will survive a stroked big block. Should I be concerned about it?
7- I will be putting AC back in the car and read somewhere that the 6 pack setup has clearance issues with the AC compressor. Is this true?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome

I have a 493 with 6 pack (440), Hughes solid lifter cam and kit, RPM heads, 2" Doug's Headers with 3" x-pipe exhaust, 4.30 rear, and 11.60 time slips in the glove box. 66 Belvedere II-station wagon.
Mike

I just did a 383/496. I got Pro max heads, if you call them direct they will set it up for roller and 10° lock and retainer. These heads flow 295cfm and for a few hundred more they'll CNC them to get even more!

Auto Transport Service
Back