• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stuck door latch

streetstrip_ch

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi all!

my 1967 Plymouth Belvedere has her door latch stuck :(

since the pictures I took are really bad, I'll try to use an image I downloaded from the internet to help describing it.

from the inside of the door (after removing the panel), I can see that the finger that is supposed to go inside of one of the grooves from that star looking thing, is actually resting on top of it.

I tried so far hitting the door from the inside with my back without success, I soak it with WD-40 last night, and will try again later, I think the next step will be removing the door ringers and pulling the door, unless someone has a better idea.

thanks!

how-it-is-now.jpg supposed-to.jpg

Are you achieving a full stroke of the button (outer) linkage? It is adjustable (with the door open-of course). Is the inside linkage moving the latch release lever? Enough? Did you move the lever manually? Maybe try detaching the inside link from the lever and moving it by hand? Good luck!
Mike

The latch works like this. There are 2 release levers in the latch assy. (3 if you count the lock button lever) You can't see the 2nd release lever. Its hidden internally. The first is connected to the rod from the handle. The 1st lever blocks the movement of the 2nd release lever. The 1st lever never gets stuck. Its the 2nd lever that sticks. It is moved only by the pressure of an internal spring after lever #1 is moved out of the way. If it gets rusty the spring doesn't have enough tension to move it. Keep soaking the latch assy. Then have a helper hold the handle in the open position. Take a long screwdriver and hammer, use them to tap on the latch assy. Eventually it will vibrate lever #2 loose and the door will open.
Doug

I just kept banging it with my feet, it released after 3 kicks... It works really good now!

Auto Transport Service
Back