• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumble

Aron Gleason

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
I've been fighting a stumble forever, at cruise at any speed I can stab the throttle and it has a huge stumble then it will pickup after about 5 seconds. Looking at the afr gauge when this happens it will spike up to 17. Is it possible the cause could be how the msd Distributor is setup? It's the mechanical advance distributor with the black bushing, 1 light silver spring and 1 light blue spring. Ps. This is literally driving me crazy.

Lock the distributor and set the timing at 36. Then drive it. If the stumble is gone it was in your ignition set up. If the stumble is still there it could be an carb. issue.

Have you experimented with different accelerator pump cams and squirters?

Yep you need more fuel when your opening the secondaries. I bet if you roll into it no stumble? Auto or manual transmission? Rule of thumb has been vacuum secondaries on automatic, manual secondaries on manual trans.

in general, it is going lean….so you need more squirt from your accelerator pump(s)

Dominic Thumper was your man, what happened?

are BOTH accelerator pumps giving fuel?

Yep you need more fuel when your opening the secondaries. I bet if you roll into it no stumble? Auto or manual transmission? Rule of thumb has been vacuum secondaries on automatic, manual secondaries on manual trans.
Full manual valve body.

Yep. No stumble rolling into it. Just when I stab the throttle quickly

now we are getting somewhere.

When you stab the throttle:
what is the engine RPM?
what gear is the trans in?
What rear end gear Ratio?
how tall are the rear tires?
But if I stab it from a light in 1st gear, it goes like a rocket. No stumble.

now we are getting somewhere.

When you stab the throttle:
what is the engine RPM?
what gear is the trans in?
What rear end gear Ratio?
how tall are the rear tires?
Anywhere from 2000 rpms on up.
It happens in 2nd and 3rd gear
28 inch tall tire

Auto Transport Service
Back