• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumble

I am also trying to help the OP.

Carb companies like Rochester & Carter sized their carbs according to engine size, & designed their carbs so that the engine controlled the airflow it wanted....not the right foot. I am referring to devices such as air valves etc, that provided the additional air only when the engine could actually use it.
Two extreme examples of production engines that used oversize carbs...but did not bog because they had air valve carbs that added air in a controlled manner as dictated by the engine....is the Chrys Aussie 245 ci inline six & the 230 cu in 6 cyl Pontiac engine; the 245 had a 625 cfm Carter AVS & the Pontiac had an 750cfm QJ.
The Carter AFB came out in 1957 & bigger models had velocity valves in the secs to control air flow; similar operation to an air valve. Holley also got the message with it's vac sec carbs.

Uncle Tony's garage did a video awhile back on carburetor sizing. He said with a motor that's not stock. The way companies say how to determine what carburetor would work is bs. That's why you can see tunnel rammed small blocks running dominators.

Yeah, right, good to know it works because Uncle Tony said so....

Geoff 2,

Would you believe a 750 cfm carb
on an engine designed for 500 cfm?
No bog from cruise to WOT, does not
run rich, and from a dead stop, will
smoke 4 tires for half a block, and all
this at 4200 ft elevation?
Also know of another.
60's Camaro running dual demons
on a 350 CID. he runs the strip
regularly at an elevation of 5200 ft.
No stumble, no bog, just go.

Last edited:
This is what I do NOT believe: that stabbing the throttle on an engine cruising at 1500, or from a standstill, with dual carbs or an excessively large single carb for THAT engine size, will not bog.
By stabbing, I mean going to WOT.

I should have qualified post #146. I am talking about 4 bbl carbs where all 4 bbls go to WOT [ such as DPs ] & do not have any flow regulation of the secondary air flow.

I should have qualified post #146. I am talking about 4 bbl carbs where all 4 bbls go to WOT [ such as DPs ] & do not have any flow regulation of the secondary air flow.
Like I've mentioned before. I had a 750 double pump that stumbled. A friend who thinks he knows carburetors thinks I should get a 650 double pump. And I'm not buying into that theory.

What you should get is an Edel AVS 800. No stumble, because the engine will take the air when it wants, not when you try & force it to take the air. A TQ is another good choice.

Anyway, I wish you luck with it.

What you should get is an Edel AVS 800. No stumble, because the engine will take the air when it wants, not when you try & force it to take the air. A TQ is another good choice.

Anyway, I wish you luck with it.
Thanks

This is what I do NOT believe: that stabbing the throttle on an engine cruising at 1500, or from a standstill, with dual carbs or an excessively large single carb for THAT engine size, will not bog.
First of all Geof 2, sounds like you're
stuck on stock configurations. Every
change in the air pump'(engine)
requires a change in configuration
of the fuel delivery system.
There are literally hundreds of parts
available thru Holley that enable
the reconfiguration of their carbs
Their philosophy;
Instead of buying a new carb for
every variance, tune what

I am not stuck on ANY configuration. Every configuration, stock or non stock, is not exempt from the laws of physics. Might come as a surprise but that includes Chrysler engines.
The above mentioned 440 might make peak power at 6500 rpm.....versus a stock 440 that makes peak hp at 4800 rpm.
Cruising at 1500 when the throttle is stabbed, both engines will injest the same volume of air. What will be different between the two is the density....& that affects the hp produced. Less dense, [ air is lighter ] less hp. Suddenly opening all 4 bbls on carb to WOT at a low speed on an engine where density is down is a recipe for... a stumble.

I am not stuck on ANY configuration. Every configuration, stock or non stock, is not exempt from the laws of physics. Might come as a surprise but that includes Chrysler engines.
The above mentioned 440 might make peak power at 6500 rpm.....versus a stock 440 that makes peak hp at 4800 rpm.
Cruising at 1500 when the throttle is stabbed, both engines will injest the same volume of air. What will be different between the two is the density....& that affects the hp produced. Less dense, [ air is lighter ] less hp. Suddenly opening all 4 bbls on carb to WOT at a low speed on an engine where density is down is a recipe for... a stumble.
Get the velocity moving faster and you
get more air.
The first example was on a Jeep with
a 360 v-8. Modified air intake via the
vent on the cowl.
Second example involved two custom
built air intakes thru the front rad
support.
I had previously brought up a
requirement that the air cleaner have
a flat bottom and a generous radius
from there to the carb.
Let's give the OP a chance to catch up
where a fair diagnosis will help with
his dilemma. Changing squirters/jets/
accelerator pumps/pump cams/air
bleeds, will probably come into play.
We won't know any of the required
steps to take until there is an
honest baseline to start from.
This tuning is going to take some
time with careful consideration
at each change.
The OP has a reputable vendor
telling him his carb will work, but
I'm a bit surprised at their response
on how to fix the problem, leaving it
totally up to him to figure it out.
Hence, his call for help here.
Instead of a steadfast refusal to
work out the problems, let's work
together to get this fixed.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep, get the air moving faster. Totally agree, that's a good move. Using a carb with bigger venturiis makes the air move slower. Slower air speed reduces the pressure drop across the jets so that no &/or less fuel flows....

Yep, get the air moving faster. Totally agree, that's a good move. Using a carb with bigger venturiis makes the air move slower. Slower air speed reduces the pressure drop across the jets so that no &/or less fuel flows....
Thanks for the forward moving info.
I will say that your knowledge will
be appreciated the more we get into
fixing Arons carb problems. He's
more or less committed with what
he has.
And since his problem stems from
cruise to WOT, the first step would be
introducing more air to help
eliminating the bog.
I'm at fault in suggesting squirter
changes, but I foresee a change in