• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid tail light question

RustyRatRod

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
As I have said in the past, I am NOT an electrical wizzard. I am amazed I have not caused more fires through the years. No. Really.

So I got these real cool little 36-38 phord tear drop blue dot tail lights. Chinkesium no doubt, but the are cool and even have glass lenses.

Here's my dilemma. They only have one two filiment socket and bulb each. Technically, they are three wire sockets, since the socket housing acts as ground and the two wires each make contact with a filiment.

So, how do I wire up tail, stop and turn signals? I don't see how without adding say an 1156 socket in each one for tail lights. Help me out here.

So they do have a filiment sockets for a 1157 bulb?
Stop and turns are on one circuit and the tails on another circuit by themselves.

`Hey Rusty there are no stupid questions when learning new stuff. you should only need two wires to the actual light socket. You are correct that the body is the ground. Most American cars will have a Brown wire that will be the marker lights you can splice as many wires to the brown wire as necessary for all the park lights. There should also be a yellow and a green wire, these go to the brightest filament and are the brake and turn signals one is left and the other is the right. So when your done you will have one brown and one green on one side and one yellow and one brown on the other side. hope this helps.

Isn't it white/ground, brn/ running lights, grn/ right turn, yellow left turn?

I wasn't to worried about the vehicle harness. I can figure that with a test light. It's the tail lights themselves. When it comes to makin electrical stuff up from scratch, I stupid all up.

Auto Transport Service
Back