• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sudden Strange Horn Issue

Don67Satellite

Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
Seem to have developed a sudden issue where I will be making a turn and intermittently the horn will honk.

Also, seems to do it when pressing the turn signal lever.

Should "rearward" motion on the lever cause it to honk? Seems it will with a light tap towards me on the lever.

Pulled the steering wheel and nothing really seems wrong. New turn signal switch last year.

Otherwise the switch seems to be operating normally. :BangHead:

Sounds like the springs in the horn button ring are weak from age, and maybe just getting close enough to contact the indicator circuit.

Either that, or you have a teenage son who loves pranks.

Sounds like the springs in the horn button ring are weak from age, and maybe just getting close enough to contact the indicator circuit.

Either that, or you have a teenage son who loves pranks.

No teenagers here.

I should say I have a Grant GT steering wheel. No issues before now.

Just took it out for a spin and it honks more on left turns than right.

Disconnected the horn for now to spare myself the middle fingers :hifu: while cruising.

No teenagers here.

I should say I have a Grant GT steering wheel. No issues before now.

Just took it out for a spin and it honks more on left turns than right.

Disconnected the horn for now to spare myself the middle fingers :hifu: while cruising.
Interesting. I just recently bought a Grant wheel to do a conversion. Did you use the Grant horn ring adaptor?

If so, I would suspect that above other things first. It looks a bit different to the Mopar unit.

That's what I have pics of currently for the wheel.

Doesn't show in the pic but do have a ground wire too. Not sure if it gets a good enough ground to the screws in that aluminum adapter body.

IMG_1375.jpg

70690982433__3E10C2A7-AFDA-45F9-B267-F26621DAE8D0.jpg

Just peeking at the Grant installation PDF & watching some YouTube videos. On Mopars, it seems only that single black wire is used to the centre terminal on the rear of the horn. Doesn't use a separate ground wire. Tried it that way and the turn signal lever still makes it honk. I didn't install this wheel originally, came with the car. Super annoying.

I wonder if the star fixing points that secure the wheel are a little too close to that horn contact on the rear. It's a pretty funky setup from what I have seen in the adaptor kit I have.
I've got a similar wheel as you have.

1685308445649.png

1685308477364.png

I wonder if the star fixing points that secure the wheel are a little too close to that horn contact on the rear. It's a pretty funky setup from what I have seen in the adaptor kit I have.
I've got a similar wheel as you have.

View attachment 1471447

View attachment 1471448
You were onto something for sure @kiwigtx and I found the solution through a YouTube Video of my exact issues on their '66 Fury.

Turns out the screw that holds the turn signal lever somehow started contacting the copper ring with the wire, that connects with the roller on the TSS.

Two squares of electrical tape over the screw head, put wheel back together, and voila!, no more honking. :bananadance:

Also put the ground wire back on as the horn button on the wheel wasn't working without it, despite what I saw in some Grant installation videos. All good for now.

Last edited:
You were onto something for sure @kiwigtx and I found the solution through a YouTube Video of my exact issues on their '66 Fury.

Turns out the screw that holds the turn signal lever somehow started contacting the copper ring with the wire, that connects with the roller on the TSS.

Two squares of electrical tape over the screw head, put wheel back together, and voila!, no more honking. :bananadance:

Also put the ground wire back on as the horn button on the wheel wasn't working without it, despite what I saw in some Grant installation videos. All good for now.

Excellent news....congrats on finding the issue. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back