• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

suggestions for grooming / smoothing gravel drive

i thought about concrete, but, i live in the mountains and worry about traction in the snow and ice, plus quotes i recieved were 30,000 +

i thought about concrete, but, i live in the mountains and worry about traction in the snow and ice, plus quotes i recieved were 30,000 +
I’m from Eastern, Ky and said the hell with it, got tired of the same thing. I’ll park my truck at the bottom of the hill if they are giving any ice and have my son or wife take me to my truck with the side by side. I can now clean the snow off of the concrete better with my 4x4 Kubota tractor than I could before with it graveled.

This is what I use on the farm. Thirty thousand for concrete or 28 for this. LOL
IMG_20230512_084318.jpg

Yeah - cost of concrete has skyrocketed. I was too late building my 2nd garage by about a year..
What's the price per yard these days. I know it varies around the country.....it was 50 bucks per back in 84 when I did my shop and driveway. The shop was completed in August of 84 and the driveway was done in Jan 85. A few years later I did the slab behind my shop and it was still the same price.

Having about 1/4 mile long drive, spent years regrading the gravel, filling in holes, at least once a year. Slop when it was wet splashing on the cars, mega dusty when dry. Plowing, had to keep the blade slightly elevated to prevent graveling the yard. Few times had to rent a power brush to get it off the grass. Local grading co came out and laid in crushed asphalt then rolled it. Huge improvement short of asphalting, but less than 1/4 the cost. Just had enuff with the upkeep as I wasn't getting younger. Lasted five years and they came back to do a touch up for a decent cost.
Yeah, after 20 years of constant maintenance on our 1/4 mile long road (much of it fairly steep), I'm tired of feeding some guy in China all my gravel every time a good storm blows through.
I'd like to learn more about either "pug" or crushed/recycled asphalt. It's time to retire the old box blade!

28 is what he posted.....
I meant to put again lol. I’d rather bought the concrete instead of the tractor. I know blacktop is a lot cheaper but requires some maintenance. I only have tractor’s because I actually farm but those little tractors are handy.

7B794638-D19B-4AA0-ABD9-6354EE60CB70.jpeg

074E5755-92E2-4B00-A3A3-2DEE2EA6B740.jpeg

3CEDCF62-C4D4-4FBE-8880-B60DCF24B6BB.jpeg

B9697860-862C-4955-B005-DF1EF359B8BD.jpeg

CE01767C-7B4B-414E-A7D8-45E4B717DBDE.jpeg

Yeah, after 20 years of constant maintenance on our 1/4 mile long road (much of it fairly steep), I'm tired of feeding some guy in China all my gravel every time a good storm blows through.
I'd like to learn more about either "pug" or crushed/recycled asphalt. It's time to retire the old box blade!
A guy I work with just blacktopped his driveway. He doesn’t plan on putting any heavy trucks on it. He did 560’. 500’ of it is 8 ft wide 2” thick and the last 60’ going in to his garage is 30’ wide and same thickness. Cost him $30k

I meant to put again lol. I’d rather bought the concrete instead of the tractor. I know blacktop is a lot cheaper but requires some maintenance. I only have tractor’s because I actually farm but those little tractors are handy.

View attachment 1463753

View attachment 1463754

View attachment 1463755

View attachment 1463756

View attachment 1463757
It's a bucket list farm my brother and I have. It has a hog operation on it and spring feed ponds. It's just a lot of fun.

Last edited:
How much are hogs going for now a pound?
We don't have it up and running, but it cost me 18 dollars the other day for a pork chop dinner. LOL
It's 53 acres with a house, 4 outbuildings. Creeks and beautiful clear spring feed ice cold ponds.

A guy I work with just blacktopped his driveway. He doesn’t plan on putting any heavy trucks on it. He did 560’. 500’ of it is 8 ft wide 2” thick and the last 60’ going in to his garage is 30’ wide and same thickness. Cost him $30k
$50/ft per lane, yep. In the neighborhood of a $60k cost for mine. Nope....
We bought it to play with, it's a blast to use. I run through the fields clearing everything in my way.
View attachment 1463748
What's the HP on that thing? My little M-F (actually made by Iseki) diesel is 30hp 4wd and has been a
rock for 20+ years. Wish I had gotten FEL for it when I bought it, though.

What's the price per yard these days. I know it varies around the country.....it was 50 bucks per back in 84 when I did my shop and driveway. The shop was completed in August of 84 and the driveway was done in Jan 85. A few years later I did the slab behind my shop and it was still the same price.

I paid $159 per yard last month.

We don't have it up and running, but it cost me 18 dollars the other day for a pork chop dinner. LOL
It's 53 acres with a house, 4 outbuildings. Creeks and beautiful clear spring feed ice cold ponds.
That’s great. Glad you’re enjoying it!

What's the HP on that thing? My little M-F (actually made by Iseki) diesel is 30hp 4wd and has been a

$60k is a lot of money. A person could do crushed asphalt, then compact with a roller and then topcoat with chip n seal.

DR has the 60" pro grader for 1400 this week.

For some years I had some fun doing the chore as my in-laws shared the same driveway. FIL had an old Farmall tractor, sizeable one with a blade on it. He ended up selling it and it quickly became - less fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back