• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for water/coolant mixture for new radiator 71 440

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
Good morning: I am replacing my 26" radiator in a 71 440 non-AC Charger (manual transmission). The new radiator is a factory type. Any suggestions as to the coolant/water mixture when I refill? If it matters, I live in a dry climate with hot temps in the summer and mild the rest of the year (Central California). Thanks!

Thank you. Distilled water only? Or does it matter?

I would run just enough antifreeze for freeze protection. You could probably get away with 70/30.

50/50 regular green Prestone and distilled water works fine for me, 600HP RB, east of the Fresno area.

Only buy premix if you enjoy throwing money away. Distilled especially if you have hard water where you live.

Thanks everyone for your input--much appreciated!

50/50 regular green Prestone and distilled water works fine for me, 600HP RB, east of the Fresno area.
I'm in north Fresno. 600 HP sounds great. When I get the motor rebuilt that sounds like a good number to me.

I would run just enough antifreeze for freeze protection. You could probably get away with 70/30.
Boil point (1).jpg

I myself would not move away very much from a 50-50 mix possibly 45% coolant and 55% distilled water during the summer only. Coolant provides:
1. antifreeze protection
2. corosion protection
3. lubrication for the water pump bearing
Using more than 50% coolant on a really hot day could cause the engine to run hotter than normal or even overheat depending on how much weight your pulling or how hard you drive.

Auto Transport Service
Back