• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide doors? Who likes them?

Factory (or old-school T or A street rod), I like 'em. I also have a quad cab Ram (2001) with the suicide rear doors - great not having that pillar! But some of the customs....meh...in my mind, most of those are like gullwing conversions and just don't look right.

LOVE the old Lincoln convertibles!

I never really understood why they got that name. It seems to me it would be easier to jump out with the standard door.
I must be missing something ?

I think the theory is, the wind (from a moving vehicle) blows a front-hinged door closed, where on a "suicide" door the wind from movement would blow it open, making a latch failure "suicidal" so to speak.

When I was a kid, my dad drove a 1947 Hudson Commodore 8. This was the last year of the Hudson with "suicide" rear doors before the introduction of the "stepdown" design. We were coming home from town, and my younger sister got fiddling around with the rear door handle. She managed to get it unlatched, and the wind swung the door open. My sister was still hanging on to the handle, and the action flung her out into the passenger side ditch. Luckily, my dad was not driving real fast,and my sister survived, with a multitude of cuts and bumps and bruises. Again, luckily, we were not that far out of town, yet, with its hospital. If my sister had been on the driver,s side of the rear seat, she would have been flung out onto the highway, in front of any oncoming traffic. I am thinking this was 1952-1953, because my sister was just little. I think these "suicide doors" likely killed a lot of people in the early days. It must have been a simpler (cheaper) way of hinging doors. It took almost 50 years before all the manufacturers did away with them.

2020 Lincoln Continental, 'Coach Door' edition.
img1439943311-1544812929355.jpg

My ‘37 Packard 115C (4 door touring sedan) had them in the back, I thought they were pretty cool!
DSC01364.JPG

Last edited:
Customer car we just finished in march.
39 chevy master 85 suicide rear doors, 4.3 V6 s10 drive train.
Mustang 2 front end.
20230407_090744.jpg

This car came that way and it looks beautiful that way.
1933-ford-model-b-5-window-coupe.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back