Summer heat and working in the shop

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Reminds me when I worked at the American Can Co summers, 2nd shift no less, ya know at the peak of the day’s heat, while going to college. Operated the can palletizers, elevated workstations up high enough you could touch the flat metal deck ceiling. Had to keep your wits operating six levers, three to manipulate on each hand looking in OH mirrors. Oly chit – HOT spending 8-9 hours up there! Lol, make a mistake yanking the wrong lever was a huge F-up…ask me how I might know. But wow, the hourly wage was the equivalent of $36/hour today. Worked every weekend and holiday, making the equal of $72/hour today on Sundays! No wonder why I met a few school teachers and cops working there who quit their careers to stay there.

On another note, before getting central air as a real luxury back when, my dad and I put in an attic fan in my first house. I lobbed onto the idea as a buddy had one in his house. Worked great sucking out the heat, dropping the house temp quick. Looking back, hard to believe how many years we went w/o central A/C. Da good old dayz when we were tough lying in bed with nothing on but briefs with a fan blasting on you, lol. But, the REALLY tough were earlier gen’s, no plumbing, electric fans, or even deodorant. A true oly chit hey..

ckessel

Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
Sometime back I was reading in one of my gun magazines, SWAT, a really great article on training sessions. The author said people would always come unprepared for a day out in the sun busting caps. Would either not bring water or not enough. He said that doing activities during hot weather really puts a strain on the old body and that straight water is not enough to replenish you, which I believe too. You can buy sports drinks, body fuels etc but they are too sugary unless you dilute them way down plus some of the sports drinks contain some chemicals found in fire extinguishers. Not good! Sometimes a person does not have access to those and he said you can use a good quality OJ that will do the job better and can be had easier. He said to put one cup of OJ to a gallon of water and thats enough of a concentration to take care of minerals, electrolytes etc that get sweated out. I have an issue with consuming processed sugars, gives me a raging headache, so the OJ deal worked great for me when I was doing pest control, had to be PPE'd up, or when I was working in a metal non insulated building in high heat/humidity. When it was hot, I would put a gallon of my mix into the freezer then consume it throughout the next day.

ct71rr

Chad
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
I have microscopic colitis - my stomach does not like sports drinks. I typically use about an ounce of apple cider (not juice) or OJ to about 12 ounces of water. I also make my own “Gatorade” with water, salt, baking soda, honey and a little juice.