• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer heat and working in the shop

Reminds me when I worked at the American Can Co summers, 2nd shift no less, ya know at the peak of the day’s heat, while going to college. Operated the can palletizers, elevated workstations up high enough you could touch the flat metal deck ceiling. Had to keep your wits operating six levers, three to manipulate on each hand looking in OH mirrors. Oly chit – HOT spending 8-9 hours up there! Lol, make a mistake yanking the wrong lever was a huge F-up…ask me how I might know. But wow, the hourly wage was the equivalent of $36/hour today. Worked every weekend and holiday, making the equal of $72/hour today on Sundays! No wonder why I met a few school teachers and cops working there who quit their careers to stay there.

On another note, before getting central air as a real luxury back when, my dad and I put in an attic fan in my first house. I lobbed onto the idea as a buddy had one in his house. Worked great sucking out the heat, dropping the house temp quick. Looking back, hard to believe how many years we went w/o central A/C. Da good old dayz when we were tough lying in bed with nothing on but briefs with a fan blasting on you, lol. But, the REALLY tough were earlier gen’s, no plumbing, electric fans, or even deodorant. A true oly chit hey..

Sometime back I was reading in one of my gun magazines, SWAT, a really great article on training sessions. The author said people would always come unprepared for a day out in the sun busting caps. Would either not bring water or not enough. He said that doing activities during hot weather really puts a strain on the old body and that straight water is not enough to replenish you, which I believe too. You can buy sports drinks, body fuels etc but they are too sugary unless you dilute them way down plus some of the sports drinks contain some chemicals found in fire extinguishers. Not good! Sometimes a person does not have access to those and he said you can use a good quality OJ that will do the job better and can be had easier. He said to put one cup of OJ to a gallon of water and thats enough of a concentration to take care of minerals, electrolytes etc that get sweated out. I have an issue with consuming processed sugars, gives me a raging headache, so the OJ deal worked great for me when I was doing pest control, had to be PPE'd up, or when I was working in a metal non insulated building in high heat/humidity. When it was hot, I would put a gallon of my mix into the freezer then consume it throughout the next day.

I have microscopic colitis - my stomach does not like sports drinks. I typically use about an ounce of apple cider (not juice) or OJ to about 12 ounces of water. I also make my own “Gatorade” with water, salt, baking soda, honey and a little juice.

Here in Florida I grunt it out. Keep a small fridge full of water, and some towels. I mow the lawn, and it's hot. Boonie hat, sniper veil loosley tied around the neck to protect against the sun, sunglasses, hydrate, or die....drive on.

Sometime back I was reading in one of my gun magazines, SWAT, a really great article on training sessions. The author said people would always come unprepared for a day out in the sun busting caps. Would either not bring water or not enough. He said that doing activities during hot weather really puts a strain on the old body and that straight water is not enough to replenish you, which I believe too. You can buy sports drinks, body fuels etc but they are too sugary unless you dilute them way down plus some of the sports drinks contain some chemicals found in fire extinguishers. Not good! Sometimes a person does not have access to those and he said you can use a good quality OJ that will do the job better and can be had easier. He said to put one cup of OJ to a gallon of water and thats enough of a concentration to take care of minerals, electrolytes etc that get sweated out. I have an issue with consuming processed sugars, gives me a raging headache, so the OJ deal worked great for me when I was doing pest control, had to be PPE'd up, or when I was working in a metal non insulated building in high heat/humidity. When it was hot, I would put a gallon of my mix into the freezer then consume it throughout the next day.
I drink water with added electrolytes, smart water, etc. Gatorade sucks. Pedialyte not so bad.

Hey...I love Gatorade!

There is about 3 flavors of Gatorade that I really like purple and 2 of the blue ones

This old guy I know likes “Propel” water.
I am a fan of sweet stuff. I like the blue colored Gatorades, Mountain Dew , margaritas, …

I love mango, I will try it. Either Snapple or Arizona has a mango drink that is tasty

These days I drink Powerade... Drank Gatorade for years but about five years ago I got a couple eight packs that tasted nasty.... Emailed the company & got no response whatsoever ever.... I understand production lines... I know it shouldn't happen... But I also know it sometimes does happen...Typically you contact the company & you'll get an apology or something... Don't respond.. Okay.. I'll spend my $$$ elsewhere...

Summer is almost here...June 21st is the date I recall as being the first official day of Summer.
Here in California, it does get hot Not humid but pretty hot nonetheless. It is common to see 25-30 days at or above 98 through the late days of Summer.
Out in the NON Air Conditioned shop, I do have fans running but when I'm moving around, I still work up a sweat.
A few years ago I started stocking the shelf with spare shirts. Sometimes I walk to the house for 20-30 minutes to cool down inside.
What do you do to cool off when working in the shop?

View attachment 1297494
Go inside, play with the dog, drink some ice cold water, stand in front of one of the fans. I love hot weather, so I stay out as much as I can. Being in Ohio, it'll be 98 for three days, then rain and low in the 50s, highs in the 70s with low humidity, then 80s and humid, then back down to 70s and cloudy and windy, etc. So I relish the nice warm weather when it's here. Today it is raining and 70 degrees,(feels like 60), and I'm miserable. Supposed to be like this all weekend, overcast and rainy, so no pool, but garage. Wish I had your issues.

These days I drink Powerade... Drank Gatorade for years but about five years ago I got a couple eight packs that tasted nasty.... Emailed the company & got no response whatsoever ever.... I understand production lines... I know it shouldn't happen... But I also know it sometimes does happen...Typically you contact the company & you'll get an apology or something... Don't respond.. Okay.. I'll spend my $$$ elsewhere...
You might want to look at what powerade uses. High fructose corn syrup. Nasty stuff

You might want to look at what powerade uses. High fructose corn syrup. Nasty stuff
High fructose corn syrup sounds like a form of sugar... Zero Sugar... I'm sure theres something in there that'll kill me but to be honest from what I've seen everything you're told is healthy this year will be the next thing that'll kill ya next year.. And what they were telling you was deadly ten years ago is now good for you...

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.36.16 PM.png

I like 100% cranberry juice (we grow a lot of cranberrys in WI) mix around 30/70 with ice water. The stuff went from $3.29 to $5.47 a bottle in the past 6 months or so. Tried a cheaper Kroger brand ONCE. Tasted like it was a batch made in an unrinsed vat after cleaning.

High fructose corn syrup sounds like a form of sugar... Zero Sugar... I'm sure theres something in there that'll kill me but to be honest from what I've seen everything you're told is healthy this year will be the next thing that'll kill ya next year.. And what they were telling you was deadly ten years ago is now good for you...

View attachment 1337475
Just stick with grain alcohol and rainwater and you'll be fine:D

Just finished a small parts painting project, out in the sunlight in front of the garage. I guess I was wrong, turns out I DO have a thermometer in the shop.
Good thing it was a small project, didn't bother to fire up the swamp cooler.

Oh yeah, uh, 115° in the shop..... but it's a dry heat.

we haven't had an extended period of low humidity all summer, not many days in the mid to upper 90 either, but it sucks to work in........

fall is quickly approaching; and the cool, dry Cadian air will be coming in with it..... can't wait

It is looking to be hot for a few more days. Tuesday was forecast to be 117 then it was revised down to 113. That is HOT and a bit above normal for the heat waves we have had before. I'm sure there were hot days 100 years ago....50 some odd years before our cars were built!

it's not uncommon to get some snow in November, hard to believe it's less than 60 days away

Auto Transport Service
Back