• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summit scat stroker kit vs 440 Source

Todd Millican

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
Pricing to be in the same ballpark, my machine shop seems to be dead set against 440 source, stating that he has seen problems, and his biggest is that parts are sourced from overseas. Specifically I'm looking at the 400 block, 470 or 500 stroker kit. (Leaning to 470, more street use) he says scat kits at Summit are all U.S.A. made and better quality. Ship times from Summit is 4 months plus from now. 440 source is much faster. I haven't heard of any problems with 440 source, but Summit, lots of them. I'm all for U.S. built, and thats worth the wait. What say you folks?

I have had zero issues with 440Source and my 512" stroker
I'd be interested to know what you did for a cam, if your build was mostly street. And thank you for your input. 512 makes sense for the same money, I just wondered if it was pushing the envelope.

Umm scat and eagle are also sourced overseas.

I used 440 source with no issues. Maybe a different machine shop?

Mine is a low deck 512 kit. (440source)
Trickflow 240s and trickflow intake.
Comp .549/.544 " lift and 242 intake and 248 exhaust duration at .050
T56 trans and 4.10 gears. All street

Umm scat and eagle are also sourced overseas.

I used 440 source with no issues. Maybe a different machine shop?

Mine is a low deck 512 kit. (440source)
Trickflow 240s and trickflow intake.
Comp .549/.544 " lift and 242 intake and 248 exhaust duration at .050
My same thoughts on the machine shop. Ironically, I do machine work for BMW motorcycles, have preferred products, but won't push customers away if they want to provide their own. And thank you for the specs on your engine. I'm really ignorant on cams, trying to learn. On my motorcycle projects, everything cam wise is stock grind, so I never had to learn.

Never had a problem with a 440 Source kit before. I've built a 496, 500, and 512 using their products.

I also really like Ohio Crankshaft. I've been using their crank/rods assemblies for the last few SB and BB motors I've built. I believe the foundry they use is in the USA.

When I was considering a stroker kit a couple of years ago, the machine shop guy told me the 440 source crank journals sometimes have more taper than they like.

I have not heard of failures because of this, but you know a machine shop has to stand behind what they build, so maybe more picky than necessary? IDK.

When I was considering a stroker kit a couple of years ago, the machine shop guy told me the 440 source crank journals sometimes have more taper than they like.

I have not heard of failures because of this, but you know a machine shop has to stand behind what they build, so maybe more picky than necessary? IDK.
Good to know. I'll build it myself, though. Leaning towards 440 source, and will spec the parts for sure. Thank you for the input, I value all opinions greatly.

Unless the crank is Billet, all of the cores come from China, and finished in the USA. As long as a company has a GOOD QAQC department to ensure that the cores are made to the blueprint, the product should be okay.

I certainly don't have experience with every crankshaft company. But we run scat, eagle, molnar, Bryant and crankshaft specialties(long gone). So I can't speak for 440 source or ohio crank. Although I have visited with both on the phone about their cranks. My take on it is when the stroker cranks were first offered several of the cheaper cranks offered had some quality issues. As time has progressed quality has increased. Unless it is a billet crank I also have been under the impression that all cranks are cast overseas and "most" are machined in the states(some may not, who really knows?). Some companies like molnar have had very high standards on their machining since the beginning. SCAT also has a good reputation on their standards. Some machine shop guys had bad experiences with the early eagle and 440 source cranks and that bad experience carries into their decision. I believe those companies have improved their quality control as they now know the areas that haunted them initially. But...they still are not getting the attention to detail that higher priced cranks get. So take a look at what your doing. Is it a street machine not really pushing the hp envelope? Or a expensive max effort race engine where details become more important. Do you need a crank that has had more time refining the fine details or one that is mass produced.

Both have their place.

Last edited:
If you’re really bothered by chinesium you could have a stock forged 440 crank turned down to make 451.
I think a new forged crank is probably better than a 52 year old high mile machined 440 crank though. I haven’t heard any problems with 440 source.

I am about to install a fresh 496'' stroker I just put together a few months ago using a 440 Source kit. I could not be happier with the components of the kit. Everything measured dead on and the finish on the crank journals was immaculate. I am also using their CNC ported heads which I took to my machine shop guy so he could take a look and he was quite impressed. All I had to do was a little clearance grinding to make room for 3/8" pushrods, lap the valves in and install the Howards springs. Cant wait to fire this animal up. It's been a long time since I've built an engine that will thump your chest so I'm kinda excited about it. I'll make sure to have my little bottle of nitro pills close by! The guys at 440 Source were great to work with.

I don't worry a bit about using anything from 440 Source, they sell some nice stuff and have good customer service.

Last edited:
I ordered the 512 kit from 440 source. I was real happy with the customer service. Once it comes in, the fun begins. Thank you all

Well I thought Ohio crankshaft and Molnar were USA forging although I have dug into it very deep. I guess 440 forged crankshaft isin my future. I will not willingly support anything made in China! **** that!

Well I thought Ohio crankshaft and Molnar were USA forging although I have dug into it very deep. I guess 440 forged crankshaft isin my future. I will not willingly support anything made in China! **** that!
Ohio, didn't have stroker kits for me.

My 470 had an Ohio crankshaft. It was built in 1998. In 2013 it came apart for a refresh. Crank and bearings were still perfect. Had many runs to 7000 leaving off the trans brake at 5400. Then quite a few runs with a nos fogger system turning 8000. Kim

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back