• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summit windage tray

I have one on my 400, my only complaint other than the dimpled pan issue is you do not want to use RTV with them. I test fitted it and was concerned about the rear main seal and timing chain cover areas so I added a bit of RTV, next time I pulled the pan the RTV pulled the seal off of the tray.
Thanks for that info, that's something I've wondered about but have never proven....is it really "re-usable" as advertised.
I've used the #2 non-hardening sealer on those just for the reason you described.

Last edited:
If its not leaking after install why would you take it back off? Unless you’re doing an engine.

Just a quick update. So I installed the summit windage tray last weekend with new felpro viton rear main seal using the nicks garage method and installed a old new stock 402 pan that I cleaned up and painted with new mopar oil pan bolts. Let the rtv and high tack sit over night without any oil in the engine. Added oil the following afternoon and took it for a drive and found some leaks around the pan, my fault didn’t tighten the pan bolts enough. So I tightened the pan bolts to 120 in pounds found the spec a review on the summit website. The leaks have stopped for now fingers crossed .

Just a quick update. So I installed the summit windage tray last weekend with new felpro viton rear main seal using the nicks garage method and installed a old new stock 402 pan that I cleaned up and painted with new mopar oil pan bolts. Let the rtv and high tack sit over night without any oil in the engine. Added oil the following afternoon and took it for a drive and found some leaks around the pan, my fault didn’t tighten the pan bolts enough. So I tightened the pan bolts to 120 in pounds found the spec a review on the summit website. The leaks have stopped for now fingers crossed .
At first, I misread your post. I thought you cranked you pan bolts to 120 ftlbs! The FSM calls for 15 ftlbs which equals 180 inlbs, so you should be fine. I followed basically the same procedure, using the summit windage tray, waited for the pan rtv to setup, then added oil.

At first, I misread your post. I thought you cranked you pan bolts to 120 ftlbs! The FSM calls for 15 ftlbs which equals 180 inlbs, so you should be fine. I followed basically the same procedure, using the summit windage tray, waited for the pan rtv to setup, then added oil.
The 71 Plymouth service manual called for 200 in lbs but that’s with a cork gasket remember. I thought that would be a bit too much for a rubber gasket.

Auto Transport Service
Back