• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunoco race gas

I get a 55 gallon drum as well. ruffcut
Just be extremely careful with its storage, ESPECIALLY the static electrical charges, keeping the barrel is adequately grounded....AND your insurance policies are current and include the barrel of fuel stored....and, IF, in the event of a catastrophic occurrence, you're covered.....just an additional talking point.....unless the fuel is declared, you could be at risk.....
BOB RENTON

The only problem with high octane race fuel, in a barrel with less than a totally full quantity, say 20-30 gallons remaining is the space above the liquid remaining.....called the head space....is the accumulated vapor....which is EXTREMELY VOLATILE. In spite of what you've been told, in an operating engine, it's the fuel vapor, not liquid fuel that is ignited....the carb or fuel injection nozzles turn the liquid fuel to vapor which is ignited. This is why gasoline is stored underground, in vented storage tanks at controlled temps. The half full barrel is exposed to static electrical charges, temperature extremes which promote vapor build up and potentially explosive CONDITIONS.......JUST BE CAREFUL HANDLING AND STORAGE OF THE CONTAINER.......
BOB RENTON
Agreed.

An empty fuel container is more dangerous than a full one.

Every spring I buy two drums of 110 and a drum of 116 maximal for nitrous use. The 110 has a shelf life of 2 years and 116 is 3. I also spike the 120 gallon ranch tank with the left over race fuel. I have yet to have an issue. The drums are in a cool, dry area that is well ventilated. The fuel is pumped with UL listed transfer pumps.

FWIW the ranch bulk tank is filled by a bobtail that comes once a month, The driver/owner has never expressed any safety or insurance concerns.

Raise your hand if you sell insurance.

I've been buying 55 gal drums of VP 110 race gas for years. Carefully stored in my shop tightly sealed and slowly used until gone. My last drum was a year and half old but was just fine, no molasses type of issue. The only problem I have with it is the 650.00/55gal price tag.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back