• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunoco race gas

Roger63

Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
Have any of you had sunoco race gas turn to almost molasses in your fuel cell?

Doesn't appear that it did, this is the 2nd year in a row. It sits for about 6 months and turns to molasses.

What octane and which blend? I use 112 octane with no ethanol. Sunoco brand. ruffcut

Are most of you able to source Sunoco race fuels local to you?

It is aluminum older fuel cell been running 112 octane sunoco

I got my recent fuel in a drum from Petroleum Service Company, Wilkes Barre, PA. Shipped to me.
Available at Close Racing Supply, Eldred PA also, but that's a 120 mile round trip for me. Price was about the same with shipping. ruffcut

I got my recent fuel in a drum from Petroleum Service Company, Wilkes Barre, PA. Shipped to me.
Available at Close Racing Supply, Eldred PA also, but that's a 120 mile round trip for me. Price was about the same with shipping. ruffcut
I found that PSC would be my best option.

A 20-30 gallon barrel of high octane race fuel is a hell of liability for home storage....now will you be storing the unused quantity??? Hope your home owner's insurance covers the liability and is up to date.....
BOB RENTON
Maybe park it in the shop or equipment barn. Or leave it outside on a pallet and move it with the forklift when I need it.

Maybe park it in the shop or equipment barn. Or leave it outside on a pallet and move it with the forklift when I need it.
The only problem with high octane race fuel, in a barrel with less than a totally full quantity, say 20-30 gallons remaining is the space above the liquid remaining.....called the head space....is the accumulated vapor....which is EXTREMELY VOLATILE. In spite of what you've been told, in an operating engine, it's the fuel vapor, not liquid fuel that is ignited....the carb or fuel injection nozzles turn the liquid fuel to vapor which is ignited. This is why gasoline is stored underground, in vented storage tanks at controlled temps. The half full barrel is exposed to static electrical charges, temperature extremes which promote vapor build up and potentially explosive CONDITIONS.......JUST BE CAREFUL HANDLING AND STORAGE OF THE CONTAINER.......
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Cans are recycled back to the supplier/Sunoco.....
BOB RENTON
There still should be some sort of batch date codes. If there was none how would anyone know how old the fuel in it is.

impala popcorn.gif

I buy by the 55 gallon drum. I'd rather have that then the vented 5 gallon fuel ccontainers in my shed. It's stored in a tightly sealed 55 gallon drum in my shop. We run it until the drum is empty, even if it's over a year. Never had an issue. Same in the tank. Aluminum cell w/foam. 10 years old. Fuel is always clean and clear. Renegade 114+ fuel.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back