• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Coil?

Virg464,
I have a couple of Mil Spec Fluke DVM meters. Once below 1 ohm, I find DVOM's are not very accurate. I have a separate meter for reading sub one ohm resistances. Also, I have read that digital meters do not give accurate readings of the coil sec resistance.
The alt is grounded when it is bolted to the engine. 66 & 70 were both points ign. So what are you upgrading?

Virg464,
I have a couple of Mil Spec Fluke DVM meters. Once below 1 ohm, I find DVOM's are not very accurate. I have a separate meter for reading sub one ohm resistances. Also, I have read that digital meters do not give accurate readings of the coil sec resistance.
The alt is grounded when it is bolted to the engine. 66 & 70 were both points ign. So what are you upgrading?
I believe what they say about the coil sec resistance, I hooked my DVOM up to it and it and a hard time settling on a final reading.
This diagram is what I started with. I omitted the fifth wire (on the control unit) since I'm not running an "AUX" ballast (and the instructions said that wire is not used). The rest of the system is what I'm trying to install. The only catch is, I'm not running an OE ign switch. I'm setting the car up for the track only and I have a switch panel and momentary starter button. The #1 switch powers the ignition circuit, and the button energizes the starter realy. There's no previous wiring harness, so I'm running all the wiring myself. As best I can tell, I know just enough to be dangerous towards the elec. components. That's why I jumped in here, to try to figure out how to keep from letting the magic smoke out of anything. I'm running an MSD (electronic) dist, hopefully I haven't mis-matched anything?

Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 pin Ballast & Electronic Volt. Regulator.jpg

Geoff, the 70 year shifted to Electronic VR and the alternator is not grounded. The field wire to alternator are hot, and ground comes from VR. Sticking a 69 or earlier Alt in a 70 up car smokes the wire harness.

Your a 4 pin ECU so you only need the single ballast. What does the literature say? I may have lost track if it was mentioned earlier. As long as you have a ballast your in the save direction for not smoking anything.

Geoff, the 70 year shifted to Electronic VR and the alternator is not grounded. The field wire to alternator are hot, and ground comes from VR. Sticking a 69 or earlier Alt in a 70 up car smokes the wire harness.

Your a 4 pin ECU so you only need the single ballast. What does the literature say? I may have lost track if it was mentioned earlier. As long as you have a ballast your in the save direction for not smoking anything.
That's the direction I was leaning in, and after looking at the install instructions again, that's actually what they show as well. I'm going to leave the accel ballast between the coil and the 12v supply, and drop the ballast for the ECU. Thanks.

DS,
Thanks for that. Unaware of alt not being grounded. Alts put out 35 or more amps, depending on the car's electrical requirements. So this heavy current grounds through the VR?

I guess to be clearer, the VR grounds the field current not the output current. Yes the diodes are still grounded to alternator case. 69 and down the field current was also case grounded and a single wire to the alternator provided field + excitation.

the 70 year shifted to Electronic VR and the alternator is not grounded. The field wire to alternator are hot, and ground comes from VR. Sticking a 69 or earlier Alt in a 70 up car smokes the wire harness.
Not totally correct....the '70 and up ALTERNATOR FIELD is not grounded...the rotating field voltage excitation goes thru the field connections back to the the electronic voltage regulator to ground thru the internal switching transistor to ground, which provides the variable or stepless conttol of the alternator's field voltage and its output. The alternator's case is grounded thru its mounting hardware....because...the NEGATIVE DIODES ARE CONNECTED TO GROUND. The positive diodes are connected to the OUTPUT stud of the alternator. As I've said numerous times b4, the alternator is a three phase, full wave bridge rectifier circuit; the stator windings are connected between the positive and negative diodes and to complete the circuit, the alternator's case is grounded. The alternator's output VOLTAGE is controlled by the excitation of the FIELD. The output CURRENT is controlled by design or the IMPEDANCE (or AC resistance as the stator windings produce the AC current and voltage) of the stator windings and the diode capacity. But the alternator's case must be grounded.......in spite of what others profess......
BOB RENTON

Which is what I said in the follow up. At the initial point of discussion, we were discussing the diagram with the Field circuit and electronic VR only.

Auto Transport Service
Back