• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Coil?

Virg464

Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if someone can answer this question for me, I searched and couldn't find a previous thread that did.

I'm setting up the ignition on my car 66 coronet, using and electronic system. I have an accel super coil installed and have added the additional ballast resistor that they say must be added to the system along with the OEM BR. Everything seems to be wired correctly, no magic smoke coming out of anything. My question is: what voltage should I be seeing at the coils +post? I have 12v going into the OEM BR, and the accel BR in-line as they say it should be and the volts drop to about 4v at the coil +post?

I'm not super familiar with the system so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. Any assistance is appreciated.

I would think we are going to need more info. What electronic system, like a stock OEM '73 distributor and a black or orange box, (need the PN on the box), or an aftermarket dist and control box like a Mallory or MSD? And what is the OHM rating of you Accel coil; it says in the instructions that came with it, or you can measure it with an OHM meter.

So to answer part of your original question, probably full 12v when cranking during start, and less during non-start run like 8-9v, but need to know all the components you are running to be sure.

I would think we are going to need more info. What electronic system, like a stock OEM '73 distributor and a black or orange box, (need the PN on the box), or an aftermarket dist and control box like a Mallory or MSD? And what is the OHM rating of you Accel coil; it says in the instructions that came with it, or you can measure it with an OHM meter.

So to answer part of your original question, probably full 12v when cranking during start, and less during non-start run like 8-9v, but need to know all the components you are running to be sure.
I will pull that info together, thanks.

I had to take off my super coil and put a stock coil on when I put on the new electronic ignition. HIREV 7000. Something about the resistance rating.

There is no such thing as a Super coil......except in the advertising dept....
The best elec ign system will use a coil that does NOT use a bal res. [ Such as GM HEI ].

Wondering why you would possibly need 2 separate ballast resistors? Why not just run a Blaster coil that doesn't require a resistor?

If you're using the older style Mopar Performance electronic ignition, you must use a ballast resistor
(the instructions that come with the kit say the supplied ballast is rated 0.8 ohms).
The resistor is not for the coil so much, but for the ECU itself, since it's "old school" electronic ignition.

I tried it with 2 resistors didn't run. Took 2nd resistor off ran. Didn't have any problem but can't say for sure you wouldn't. Think it lower voltage to much?

If you're using the older style Mopar Performance electronic ignition, you must use a ballast resistor
(the instructions that come with the kit say the supplied ballast is rated 0.8 ohms).
The resistor is not for the coil so much, but for the ECU itself, since it's "old school" electronic ignition.
Bingo. The BR protects the ecu switching device. Same as points.

Bingo. The BR protects the ecu switching device. Same as points.
That yellow monster coil comes with ballast resistor and he's wiring in a second ballast resistor inline. Think install directions are for GM.

I tried it with 2 resistors didn't run. Took 2nd resistor off ran. Didn't have any problem but can't say for sure you wouldn't. Think it lower voltage to much?
The resistor supplied with the coil isn't there to be used additionally
More so you don't install the coil with no resistor at all

I had to take off my super coil and put a stock coil on when I put on the new electronic ignition. HIREV 7000. Something about the resistance rating.
I may run into the same issue I have a HiRev 7500 installed, appreciate the heads up.

So, here's what I got going on so far.

Distributor: MSD 8545
Coil: accel 140001
Ign Conrtol Mod: HiRev 7500
BR: OE style 1.3ohm
BR: accel 150001 0.8ohm

The car is is being set up for race only, not running a OEM harness, building/wiring this myself. Using a 6 circuit switch panel (with momentary start button) and a 10 circuit fuse block. Switch #1 runs power (12v) to the OE starter relay thru the momentary button, and (12v) to the ignition module. There's 12v into the OE BR, volts out of the OE BR is split into two legs and runs to the control module and the accel BR, then from the accel BR to the coil +post. Hopefully this makes some sense

The paperwork that came with the Hi Rev was very specific to not use the high resistance coil. It gives the numbers. I was bummed to have to take off the Accel Super Coil that I had had on the car for 30 years.

The paperwork that came with the Hi Rev was very specific to not use the high resistance coil. It gives the numbers. I was bummed to have to take off the Accel Super Coil that I had had on the car for 30 years.
Well don't be too bummed dude. Look at all the space it'll free up.

4 speed.

There's the problem. You are using a coil [ Accel ] with a high primary resistance with an ign system that requires a coil with a low pri res.
This will seriously compromise/reduce the performance of the new system.

This is the elec diagram I'm working from. Trying to adapt it to the setup I have, toggle switch and monetary start button -vs- OE ignition switch. I don't have the volt regulator installed yet, it will be here in the next few days (AC-Delco).

From what "G" says it sounds like the accel unit is incompatible with the chrysler electronic ignition, due to resistance values? If so, any suggestion for a replacement coil?

Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 pin Ballast & Electronic Volt. Regulator.jpg

4 speed.

There's the problem. You are using a coil [ Accel ] with a high primary resistance with an ign system that requires a coil with a low pri res.
This will seriously compromise/reduce the performance of the new system.
Geoff,
I am not using the Super coil. I had to change the coil out to a low primary resistance coil, as per the instructions that came with the ignition system. I got an Edelbrock one that is "stock", and meets the requirements. I dont recall, off the top of my head, the ratings. Just to clarify. Thanks

Some miss information in the post. The original Electronic ignition mopar created used the 5 pin set up. Dual ballast. One to protect the COIL, one to protect the ECU. Later they moved to a 4 pin connector, incorporated any ballast in the ECU and went to a single ballast. Most of the after market if not all are 4 pin types and NO ballast is used to protect ECU. Ballast may still be need to protect Coil. So go with what the ECU manufacture states. The ECU controls the dwell and current or coil charging rate and they typically specify the type of coil.

This is the wiring diagram from the installation instructions on the "old" original Mopar Performance
Electronic Ignition Kit:
ignition1.png

I don't know if that helps anyone, but that's from Ma herself...
The kits were meant to use the original coil on the engine BTW.
Some of you will remember the kit came with a new pigtail of wires; those wire colors
are what are referred to in the instructions.

The document itself is, I've found, quite handy to have as well. Lots of basic tuning
tips and such included in it and can be found here:
https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/elecignconv.pdf

Auto Transport Service
Back