• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Stock spring alternatives

Well I have SS springs right now(after 30 yrs on them) and I’m planning on going with another set this summer. Original spring hangers are long gone so not a lot of options other than adding a leaf. SS’s are pretty cheap from Summit.

Well I have SS springs right now(after 30 yrs on them) and I’m planning on going with another set this summer. Original spring hangers are long gone so not a lot of options other than adding a leaf. SS’s are pretty cheap from Summit.
I bought 2 sets this year for my projects. I ordered them when they had a sale going, and it was before the internet taxing took place, so I think it was about $220 a pair, plus the front hangers for the '65, '63 doesn't need them...

I am vacillating between ESPO +2" and super stocks. There is only about $50 difference, but I can't figure out if the ESPO will be tall enough for me. I really hate the way the car rides with air shocks.

Just for comparison purposes, my Cuda has ESPO +1".
If you go with SS springs for normal street use, consider using 2 with the same part number to avoid the lean common with SS springs.
090624 cuda 04.jpg

Wheels are cop rims widened to 8" with custom offset to fit the tire in the wheel well. Tires are 295/65 drag radials. Springs are offset.
090624 cuda 01.jpg

Wheels are cop rims widened to 8" with custom offset to fit the tire in the wheel well. Tires are 295/65 drag radials. Springs are offset.
View attachment 713356

That explains a lot, 30" tall tire. Looks really good.
I'm trying to run a 28" tall tire. So +2" might get me a similar stance in theory, although we are talking apples to oranges with E-body.

Just for comparison purposes, my Cuda has ESPO +1".
If you go with SS springs for normal street use, consider using 2 with the same part number to avoid the lean common with SS springs.
View attachment 713354

Any issues running the caltracs with ESPO springs? supposedly there are compatibility problems with SS, I'm assuming its the extra leaves?

Hi All. Happy New Year. Looking to raise the rear end on my 68 SuperBee, 383 car. Will the SS leaf springs fit in or do I need to swap out the front mounts? I was told the SS springs are shorter and require the front mounts to be replaced. I am pricing$$ out adding a leaf VS. new SS springs. #MoneyPIT$

The front segment of super stock springs is shorter than your 68 bee, so yes, you would need to change to the superstock front spring hangers.

Got a quote the other day of about $300 to add a leaf on both sides. Still thinking, a little fresh steel and 85% old?

ESPO quoted me a new set with an added leaf (+1inch lift from stock) for about $300 (+shipping), dont have to swap the front hangers. A local shop also quoted 300 to add a leaf to my existing springs. Sounds like a new set is the better choice.

Do you guys recommend standard or heavy duty springs? Its a 68 SuperBee 383. I want it to be a comfortable ride. I am adding the 1inch lift. Normal cruising around town and highway. Not drag racing or towing.

As i understand it, the ARCH of the spring determines the height. The number of leaves, and their thickness determine the stiffness. If you look at a hd pickup, they have a bunch of leaves to carry weight (stiffness) but not a lot of arch. (Unless of course it has been lifted with custom springs!)
If you want a comfy ride, and more height, standard +1 would seem to be what you want.
Remember, shocks can have as much effect on ride as springs.

But then, what do i know. Ive got original 50year old super track pack springs on one car, and super stocks on the other.

Auto Transport Service
Back