• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird makes it presence known , Ohio Concurs event Cincinnatti Ohio this past weekend

gtx6970

Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
Its a very good friends car. And it made a very public debut at the Ohio Concurs event held at Ault Park in Cinn Ohio

he pulled it out of long term storage last summer and he has driven it a couple times. But mostly local cruise ins. the winter storage took over rather quickly last year. I think he has had the car out once so far this year prior to this event

Unrestored for the most part . Six barrel car console auto Vitamin C orange. dealer intalled ac . Mostly original paint , all original interior / carpet . Original drivetrain has never been out of the car

Per the shipment list , 3rd Bird built. 1st one sold into public sales. Pretty sure its the east coast public relations car out of the NY/NJ office back then . As we've talked to a guy who worked there at the time and this car is identical to the one he remembers.
So its POSSIBLE its the Motor Trend photo shoot car. Just cant prove it

Which brings up another maybe. Is it one of the five Pilot cars mentioned elsewhere ??????

UPDATE - Vin is RM23V0A149856
J number is J97004

imagejpeg_0001.jpg

Superbird-cover.jpg

Last edited:
Marvin Hughes bought it out of Texas late 70s early 80s time frame. Prior to that is completely unknown .

A friend of ours bought it from Marvin early 80s. Current owner bought it from him maybe 83 or 84 .

can you post a pic of under the hood,would like to see the dealer AC compressor on a 6 pack car.

if you could I would appreciate it.

What were the colors of the other press Superbirds? Especially the one out of West Coast. If that one was not Orange that would be another step to this being the cover car.

Motor Trend was out of LA (Petersen Pub) at the time. You'd think they would use a West Coast press car. But may have not been an option.

I've always heard Dan Gurney was photoshop on top of that wing. And it's doesn't look natural.

It looks like it has a York compressor on it, that Ford commonly used in this era. Not quite as bulky as the miniaturized Harley that Chrysler used.

It looks like it has a York compressor on it, that Ford commonly used in this era. Not quite as bulky as the miniaturized Harley that Chrysler used.

Dealer installed A/C systems often used York compressors. Out of the dealer accessories parts book.

Correct
He said the system still had freon in it after sitting for over 30 years. And he had charged and does work . But has a bearing noise in the compressor so doesnt use it. He picked up a NOS compressor this year to replace it with this winter

Cool that it came out to be seen. FWIW: If Petersen had any paperwork for having the car at a studio photoshoot, they tossed tons of that stuff many years ago. The photo of Gurney looks like he was in sunlight, but the car is a studio shot, so I'd bet that was what was called "photo retouch". Petersen had a big studio on Sunset in L.A. - they shot one of my Road Runners there - and that yellow would be partly a HUGE roll of paper; easily twice the width of a carpet roll. They had different colors. The upper area would be airbrushed in by the retoucher. Some of those guys were real artists. I'm sure there were facilities nearer or on the East Coast, but tracking down the studio and any paperwork showing that VIN on loan would be quite a chase. It would be REALLY cool if it's the same car.

Cool that it came out to be seen. FWIW: If Petersen had any paperwork for having the car at a studio photoshoot, they tossed tons of that stuff many years ago. The photo of Gurney looks like he was in sunlight, but the car is a studio shot, so I'd bet that was what was called "photo retouch". Petersen had a big studio on Sunset in L.A. - they shot one of my Road Runners there - and that yellow would be partly a HUGE roll of paper; easily twice the width of a carpet roll. They had different colors. The upper area would be airbrushed in by the retoucher. Some of those guys were real artists. I'm sure there were facilities nearer or on the East Coast, but tracking down the studio and any paperwork showing that VIN on loan would be quite a chase. It would be REALLY cool if it's the same car.
Im working on it in hopes to come up with something ,,, positive or negative.

I talked to the owner yesterday and he said the car was a HUGE hit, especially with the much younger crowd as it was voted 3rd place Kids choice, Kids in the age group from about 10 to maybe upper teens . A few of them came up and asked A LOT of questions about the car . Plus they all wanted to hear the BeepBeep horn.

All in all a very fun day for the owner.

Im working on it in hopes to come up with something ,,, positive or negative.

I talked to the owner yesterday and he said the car was a HUGE hit, especially with the much younger crowd as it was voted 3rd place Kids choice, Kids in the age group from about 10 to maybe upper teens . A few of them came up and asked A LOT of questions about the car . Plus they all wanted to hear the BeepBeep horn.

All in all a very fun day for the owner.
Bob's?

He's had that car as long as I've known him unless it is a different one.

He's had that car as long as I've known him unless it is a different one.
Nope same car. He bought it approx 1984 or so off of Jim Walton.

Sat in the bldg for over 30 years . He finally got it out late last summer and got it road worthy again.
I bought his 66 Hemi Satellite , he also sold a nice 1967 Coronet rt vert last year. as well as a real low mileage 79 Chrysler 300 ( I wish I had bought that one as well )

67774781-770-0@2X.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back