• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superstock clarification

We are not going to settle any NHRA rules discrepancies that hasn't been argued to death? This is part of the problem with drag racing? Making it not possible for small garage ideas to emerge. Not sure how to respond?

A SS/GT car is one where the engine package wasn’t available for the car it’s in.
Like a 440-6 in a 67 Belevedere.
Or a 360-4, or a 383-8, or 426mw.

The “car” still needs to be built according to the SS rules, and the engine also has to be built legal for whatever year/hp you’re claiming it is.
Correct bore & stroke, correct heads, correct carb, correct build specs(deck clearance, chamber volume, piston configuration), etc.

Someone would probably have to dig into the weeds of the current rules....... and maybe it’s “legal”, or maybe it’s a “look the other way” situation, but........ there have been 400 blocks with 3.75 cranks in them being run as “440’s” in SS for several years.

Again, my solution was to be a bracket racer. After a while I figured out that most of the guys that played the NHRA legal class game didn't do well in the bracket wars. Fine by me. Some of those guys did OK, not many.

^^^ Plus bracket racing can be done on a tight budget.

The budget is what YOU can afford. I decided to spend quite bit to go faster, that was my decision, not dictated by rules. If a person doesn't have the cash to go fast, you don't have to.

Isn’t bracket racing 99.99999% automatic trans?

Isn’t bracket racing 99.99999% automatic trans?
Maybe, when I bought my first drag car, '65 Coronet 426W 4 spd it came with one good 4 spd, 2 broken 4 spd's & a broken 8 3/4. I knew I couldn't drive a 4 speed consistently so I switched to a 727. Top level bracket racing needed to have consistent really good reaction times, .02 or better.

Maybe, when I bought my first drag car, '65 Coronet 426W 4 spd it came with one good 4 spd, 2 broken 4 spd's & a broken 8 3/4. I knew I couldn't drive a 4 speed consistently so I switched to a 727. Top level bracket racing needed to have consistent really good reaction times, .02 or better.

Back in the late 80’s I considered bracket racing my ‘Cuda. It’s a 4:10 Dana 4-speed.

But by then all the bracket guys were switching to an auto with trans brake. Then came the delay boxes.

I just ended up running “grudge night” a few times.

In the Great Lakes Stock, S/S, N/SS (GLSSA) there are some tough racers. A few examples.
Doug

close time slip.jpg
.0003 slip.jpg

Ya, I stayed a foot brake guy. Built a Griner brake 727, never got to like it. I did have a guy make me a delay box, but again just never got to like it. I was doing well enough on the foot brake. Don't know how that works today.

My trans brake time was with my tube chassis Arrow. Still liked the foot brake. Just didn't like the trans brake. I stayed competitive with most of the brake guys. Not many lined up against me.

The bottom time slip the opponent is Brad Zaskowski. His is a stick car. He was #2 in NHRA S/S points in 2018. Mine is a foot brake with a push button 727, no starting line chip or any electronics. Brad was leading the 2021 GLSSA points. I had to go for the $100 bounty on him. I lifted close to the stripe. According to my software, it scrubbed off .0003. If you believe that stuff. The top slip it was set to go 9.225-9.230. Had to scrub some, almost too much.
Doug

Doug you are too much better than I ever was. But I did lose a few finals by lifting too much.

My first NSS/E race ever I lost the final by .0003. I lifted at the stripe thought I was gonna break out.:BangHead:

I have to say I can't judge an inch at the stripe. But running up on someone with good mph you have to decide what you will do early. You pick your spot and make your decision, right or wrong. I've lost as well. This example here I thought I could get him (Jamie Guy tough racer). My car was set close to index. At 1000ft mark I'm just over 2 car lengths back. So I let fly out the back, wrong. He took 7" of stripe. We both were slightly under. I should've dumped.
Doug
Jamie and my run slip.JPG

dvw, for me that last 50 feet was often a real challenge. As a bracket racer, for many years I was mostly chasing (which I always preferred). Will I catch him, maybe, maybe not? The last 5 feet... Missed some, made some. Pretty sure I lost one at Byron by less than 3 inches that cost me about $5,000. But that's racing.

Stripe decision making……. Great topic! I’m just starting to really understand the games and strategies that are played out there. I won a couple of rounds this year with good decisions made at the top end, and found a LOT of satisfaction in those winlights.

Last edited:
As a bracket racer that's chasing, when to drop the nose is tough. Usually I decided in the last 20 feet, some times good, some times not. I loved it when I knew I had passed the guy by a bit and could lift. Many rounds, especially in my Arrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back