• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

swaping a 5.7 hemi to a B-Body

joshb1983

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
i have a 1970 belvedere, its all original with the 318/904. iv been wanting to go with a 5.7 hemi. at my local bone yard there is a 07 charger and a 05 300m. i can get either car complete for 1500 bucks. what all would i need from the donor car too do the swap and what all would i have to buy. iv debated just putting a 440 in my car but i fig i can go with the 5.7 for around the same price. after getting the motor/trans and whatever else i need from the donor car what kind of costs would i run into getting everything else too install the 5.7. in my area tuning it would be my biggest worry since there is no shops that do it here.

- - - Updated - - -

over the past year and a half i have looked for a 383 or a 440 in my area but iv had no luck finding a decent one, i have easier access getting a 5.7 than any other motor. That is another big reason why im thinking about going with the 5.7, im just wondering what it all will cost though. figured a few members on here has already done the install and could give me some pointers or a idea on what i would be getting into..

i have a 1970 belvedere, its all original with the 318/904. iv been wanting to go with a 5.7 hemi. at my local bone yard there is a 07 charger and a 05 300m. i can get either car complete for 1500 bucks. what all would i need from the donor car too do the swap and what all would i have to buy. iv debated just putting a 440 in my car but i fig i can go with the 5.7 for around the same price. after getting the motor/trans and whatever else i need from the donor car what kind of costs would i run into getting everything else too install the 5.7. in my area tuning it would be my biggest worry since there is no shops that do it here.

you are no way gonna do it for the same price, the 440 swap would be way cheaper. im putting the 6.1 in my 70. the nag1 is way to expensive to run for me. so i would go manual unless you keep it stock then the truck auto trans will work fine. hotwire has the wire harness an will flash you a computer for your setup. efi fuel tank, radiator, headers. there are alot threads on this swap. do some research the money adds up quick. alot of others can help you out also. im in about $14k so far and not done. if your on a budget 440 an 727 or a 4speed way cheaper. JMO

you are no way gonna do it for the same price, the 440 swap would be way cheaper. im putting the 6.1 in my 70. the nag1 is way to expensive to run for me. so i would go manual unless you keep it stock then the truck auto trans will work fine. hotwire has the wire harness an will flash you a computer for your setup. efi fuel tank, radiator, headers. there are alot threads on this swap. do some research the money adds up quick. alot of others can help you out also. im in about $14k so far and not done. if your on a budget 440 an 727 or a 4speed way cheaper. JMO
after buying the donor car i would have a 3-5k budget to finish it. sounds like its not even possible for me unless i wanna spend 10k. going with a big block might be the best for me, thanks for info

- - - Updated - - -

Iv read alot of the threads on here about the swap but i didn't see much about the costs, i figured it was expensive but i never realized just how expensive it could be. with my car being just a belvedere there's a limit to how much i wanna invest into it..if it was a roadrunner or a gtx i wouldn't hesitate.

after buying the donor car i would have a 3-5k budget to finish it. sounds like its not even possible for me unless i wanna spend 10k. going with a big block might be the best for me, thanks for info

- - - Updated - - -

Iv read alot of the threads on here about the swap but i didn't see much about the costs, i figured it was expensive but i never realized just how expensive it could be. with my car being just a belvedere there's a limit to how much i wanna invest into it..if it was a roadrunner or a gtx i wouldn't hesitate.

You do not need 10k to run a 5.7 hemi in a B-body...if that was the case I wouldn't have a Hemi in mine.

The long answer to your original question is how much do you want to use from the parts car and how much "bolt on" do you want to do? If you are willing to take the time to do a bunch yourself you can come out pretty cheap...ie nothing but the parts in the parts car...

or you can buy tti mounts, and headers, hotwire wiring harness and the like and be out the door for under 5k.

You could take just the engine, use a "hemi 6" engine controller to control spark timing and run a carb setup...and that will run you around $1500-2k on top of the engine price.

Personally I am running a hotwire auto wiring harness with a factory computer (from a truck) running a manual tranmission tune from hotwire auto. The total price for all of what I have if you had to buy it is as follows:

tti mounts: $133
Oil Pan: $250
Stock Manifolds from a truck: $0-50
Fuel pump: $ depends on what you do, I horse traded for a Durango in tank pump and made it work, or you can go to tanks inc and get their kit...either way plan for around $200
Hotwire Harness: $1250
Computer Tune: $200
Engine: $1500 (your price)

And that would get you on the street with stock power of 345 hp and 375 ft-lbs for under $3600 plus some miscellaneous stuff like hoses etc.

You really can't beat the price of this swap when all is said and done. But everybody adds up the premium price for things like full TTI exhaust, complete tunable efi setups, bolt on no work involved fuel tanks etc...

If you do some work you can do it.

----Update----

I forgot to mention if you want to keep your original transmission just run the manual transmission tune for the computer system and use your 727 or A-833. The bell housing is the same as a small block so you can use factory parts to save cash instead of buying expensive adapters. If you do not have a transmission then factor in whatever you want to use into your budget. If running a NAG1 the expense will pile up but if you run a 545-RFE the main expense are a driveshaft ($400) and modifying your trans tunnel. If you run the A-833 then take some length off the input shaft with a hack saw and add a $15 pilot bearing plus flywheel.

wow kb, that is great to do it that cheap. didnt think it was possibly.

im in eastern kentucky..i have the original 318 and 904..i also have a big block 727 and a bunch of 440 parts..i bought a 440 and had it bored and rebuilt but the engine builder sold it to his buddy for more money..

im in eastern kentucky..i have the original 318 and 904..i also have a big block 727 and a bunch of 440 parts..i bought a 440 and had it bored and rebuilt but the engine builder sold it to his buddy for more money..

Your engine builder sold the motor you bought for him to rebuild for you? I hope he gave you some of the profit!

Your engine builder sold the motor you bought for him to rebuild for you? I hope he gave you some of the profit!
ya i bought a complete 72 440 from my cousin in ohio, he recommended his buddy in ohio that builds engines..so him and my dad took it to him and it took 16 months to finish, hes a older guy and wont be building many more engines so when his buddy seen my motor the day it was finally done he wanted it for his mopar so the builder sold it to him..i owed him 2300 for the work done and he got 3500 for it. im in kentucky and the motor was in ohio and the people i trusted to watch over the build didnt do it, luckily im only out the engine and stock parts i bought that costs around 400 bucks total.

Sell the nag1, get a a stick or 545rf3, or 727, flash the computer for a manual if using a stick or 727. Harness, engine mounts, headers, will cost ya, but look around and you can find used stuff for less and will function just right.

Trust me, if you go for all the bells and whistles, you will pay for it, if ya look for used stuff then it is really affordable. I have lots of spare parts and might be able to help if you decide to swap. Also ebay, lxforums, fabo, are all good sources for parts.

You could also use the 904 presently in the car. It will hold up fine for a somewhat stock 5.7. Plus it would be the easiest way to go. I have a buddy who did it that way with a 71 satellite. It ran 12.90's with a stock long block with a mild cam, headers, stock ecm, 2800 stall and 3.55's. he drives the snot out of it and gets around 15 mpgs if he keeps his foot out of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back