• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping from 2 speed to 3 speed wipers in a 1970 Charger

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
My 2 speed wiper motor is getting weak. I don't drive in the rain but I want to be ready if I'm ever out and rain does fall.
I may just look for a good or rebuilt 2 speed motor but.....
I have a couple of 3 speed switches. My Jigsaw Charger is an original 3 speed wiper car but the motor was gone along with the wiring.
If I decide to change this Red car (Ginger) from the 2 speed to the 3, what is required? I have the switch, I have a 3 speed wiper motor that may or may not work....I suppose that the switch has a different plug on it and that has to be integrated into the dash wiring. Do the motors connect to the linkage in the same manner?

All the wires are in the dash harness to make the 3 speed switch work. As long as you have a 3 speed arm on that 3 speed motor you're good to go...
3speedwiperswitch.jpg

now I know why my washer doesnt work, I have the white tracer on the pump switch. Thought it showed on my diagram that it went to pump switch.

The two three speed wiper motors that I have ....

3 wiper 1.jpg
3 wiper 2.jpg

Exposed wires going into the cylinder and I need an impact Phillips to crack loose those side case screws.

Second motor. This one is missing the wires and has some "bullet" connectors that I don't know is stock or some backyard fix.

3 wiper 3.jpg
3 wiper 4.jpg
3 wiper 5.jpg

I can't imagine that exposed wires here is a good thing. I've never had one of these rebuilt. I've read threads here about some of the bad experiences that people have had though.

I may look into taking one apart and see if I can sandblast and refinish it. I can't put one this ugly in the car!

I found this picture and while it isn't a correct restoration, I can see the wires coming out of the gold cylinder are insulated.

3 speed 9.jpg

I guess those black "bullet" connectors are stock?

3 speed 8.jpg

3 speed 7.jpg

I went out to the shed and found what looks like a rebuilt 2 speed wiper motor.

2 speed 1.jpg
2 speed 2.jpg

I may try this one tomorrow to see if it works.
I have not looked closely at the drive arm on the other side. I'm told the 2 and 3 speed versions differ?
Is the rest of the under-dash stuff the same then?

Yes, just the arm that attaches to the motor is different between 2spd and 3spd, possibly the plastic bushing, but the long pivot arms, etc are all the same..

Isn’t the arm the same? It’s just the plastic cam on the motor that is different?

Arms are different part #'s for 2 and 3 speeds. Can't remember if I also had to swap the cam..

I would say there is not too much wrong with your two speed wiper motor. I rebuilt mine and it was quite easy. Your brushes may be getting low, but more likely maybe just the insulation needs renewing. You can unsolder the wires and slide new glass cloth sleeve over it and you should be good to go. Its worth a shot before reinventing the wheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back